My wife saw a Metre Matters panel in a bus stop today in Norton St, must be part of the AGF campaign.
Take a photo of one and you can win a prize, might as well have a go
https://www.facebook.com/notes/amy-gillett-foundation/cycle-safe-co...

See they have merchandise for sale too if groups want to buy some A Metre Matters material, on the safe communities website.
http://cyclesafe.gofundraise.com.au/cms/individualrange

Views: 4479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BTW, "a metre is never enough" should be discussed in more depth. We've listened to cyclists and agree that 1.5 is the only way forward on minimum Safe Passing Distances. We've even changed our logo in January to signify this.

Sorry for the rest if the poster but I can't access our logo from my phone ATM

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Firstly, thank you for your feedback, we welcome constructive feedback and also the opportunity to respond and contribute.

The Amy Gillett Foundation aims to reduce bike rider injuries and fatalities through a safer environment for bike riding for all Australians. The problem and solution spaces are very complex as ‘Where the Rubber meets the Road’ illustrates. Awareness campaigns are but one part of the ‘behaviour’ environment; education is another e.g. our Learner Driver Road Right program; our joint national AustCycle program that teaches bike skills & safety to thousands of people to ride bikes annually. The law, infrastructure, speeds, vehicle measures are all fundamental elements of the spectrum. We embrace the Safe System approach, and can share more about this in future posts.

Our educational and campaign messages are directed to both motorists and bike riders.  Over 500 outdoor billboard locations across the cities of Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney depict reminder messages to both road user groups.  “a meter matters” is a simple message to remind motorists to look out for bike riders and leave sufficient space.  The Ride Rule “stop on red” is one of nine campaign themes reminding bike riders that they too have responsibilities they have when riding and how their actions can not only impact their own personal safety but the perception that other road users have towards them.

The attached image provides the context for the Ride Rules campaign, a satirical approach that has been very successful in other activations. It explains how a number of the rules (some of which are laws) are there for bike riders’ safety. Carrying ID may seem onerous, however it is eminently sensible to be able to be identified (and inform your next of kin) should unfortunate circumstances occur. Others remind us to look after our own wellbeing – and sometimes a ‘prompt’ is helpful. These images when put in context are very memorable as proven by the discussions over the past few days on this forum.

This mainstream outdoor public campaign has been created by the AGF without any government or public funding but through the fantastic support of international outdoor advertising leader, JC Decaux and two of our partners bikeexchange.com.au and Bicycle NSW whom we thank.

The Amy Gillett Foundation will continue to develop communications campaigns (including a Drive Rules campaign) across the country that raise mainstream awareness, educate and ultimately help to contribute to a safer environment for bike riders as 2nd most vulnerable road user group.

We note many issues raised in the dialogue about the ‘safe bike riding’ problem and solution space. While this post is not designed to respond to each of those specifically we look forward to the opportunity to both present issues for discussion, and engage more actively in others’ discussions.

To this end, we invite any interested forum members to register their interest in being part of the panel for our future campaigns, and indeed their interest in working with us on other rider safety programs.

Attachments:

JC Decaux, the people that bring you the bus stops that block your cycle paths.  Awesome.

And still use glass which shatters into a thousand tyre puncturing shards when a pissed idiot smashes it.

A prize for the first person who can photograph a "metre matters" poster on a bike-path-blocking bus shelter.

And not just bus shelters but advertising boards in middle of busy shared use areas like outside the Slip Inn.

FWIW I think bad advertising board placement is a matter for councils etc, not JC Decaux, and certainly not AGF, but carry on ...

But it's not like JCD couldn't tell the council "actually where you're proposing is a great location for us to ensure we get our advertisers maximum exposure, but pretty shit for everyone else - how about we move it back off the path a metre? Because like the advert says..."

I respectfully disagree, #51. As Mr sus says, JCD is definitely a culprit denying decent non-motorised access along paths.

It's just that the whole path-blocking thing is irrelevant. The subject is the parlousness of this AGF campaign. 

I very much doubt that JCD has a person on staff who goes around checking the positioning of advertising sites as pertains possible impact on cyclists.

Besides, anyone complained to them? It's likely that any complaints would be directed to relevant councils, with the usual irrelevant non-response. And again, those issues are two steps removed from the AGF.

I do have concerns at times about aspects of the AGF's strategies.

But I think, as a general principle, that the more voices there are in support of cycling, the better, even if these voices may not always be in tune. 

Having a go at AGF for not getting their sponsor JCD to inspect individual sites and make representations to council about them ... I can hear the creaking of that bow as it's drawn ...

it is ironic though, as JCD are a bit of Bete Noir amongst cycling groups.

Councils choose the sites, in conjunction with Sydney Buses. When JCD first moved in to this field many Councils loved the idea, a free shelter in return for advertising rights, and gave little thought to effects on sight lines and path narrowing on shared paths. When complaints came in they found JCD had a very tough contract that was hard to break. and Councils didnt want to lose any advertising revenue either.

Some horse trading is possible, end panels can be left clear if another site can be provided, but the bus shelters usually stay put. Councils or RMS (example: hugely expensive path widening behind shelters at White Bay) have to build bypasses behind the shelters if they stupidly allowed JCD to build a shelter on a bike path. Councils might be a bit more savvy when next lot of contracts is signed.

Agenda item 5 on the next JCD 6 day blue sky workshop in the Seychelles.

"Which cycling advocacy groups campaigns matter?"(to us)

RSS

© 2020   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service