Announcing- the Inner West Bicycle Coalition- first up, Lilyfield Rd

Bike Marrickville, Bike Leichhardt and ASHBUG have formed the Inner West Bicycle Coalition to present a more unified voice to the recently amalgamated Inner West Council and other authorities like Urban Growth and Westconnex. We are retaining our individual structures for the time being, but will endeavour to cooperate on the bigger issues through the Coalition, which will have a coordinator and input from the three groups.

Early days, and we don't presume to be the only cycling groups in the Inner West, so looking to join forces with others, including people or groups in Canada Bay, Burwood and maybe Canterbury. If interested let me know on info@bikeleichhardt.org.

Better still, join one of the three groups above and get in on the action.

Website www.iwbc.org.au

(Edit, I added Lilyfield Rd to the title, since that is the first matter we are looking at).

Views: 3684

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wasn't advertised further west, which is out of Inner West LGA. Should have been advertised by TfNSW to LGAs further west, since the whole idea behind the cycleway is it is part of a future Regional Route. 

Actually Bill, quite a few cyclists did make their opinions known on the proposal, almost all negative. 

Below is a photo of the dive site for the CWCL, in Charles St, off Lilyfield Rd. 800 m through to Balmain Rd.

Yeah, that's right. The cycleway tunnel will emerge through the cliff face just to the left of derelict house.

It will be fitted out with the latest LED flood lighting and jet fans which will reverse the tunnel wind direction every ten minutes - you simply use the online app to time your entry when the wind is blowing in your direction of travel. 

I have to wonder about wind from a bus in there.

French in general are a pretty farty lot. All those patisseries. Yum, drool. 

Oh, too wussy, wussy.  We need a cycleway like they build them overseas:-

https://www.facebook.com/ThePOVPage/videos/209192099632408/

Bill

good one too

Update on the Lilyfield Rd Cycleway. 

The project has been sent back to the drawing board as previously posted. We sought a meeting with Council to discuss alternatives.

IWBC met with Council staff, GHD staff and Mayor today. One rep only allowed from IWBC (Neil Tonkin), so we were greatly out-numbered. A resident rep didn't show up. Neil presented our case for alternative routes on Allen St and Francis St, continuing on Moore and Catherine Sts. City West Cycle Link raised, pooh poohed by some staff, but it was pointed out that there will be a lot of tunnelling equipment nearby soon for WConnex.

Staff dutifully took notes, raised a few issues about Darley Rd crossing. GHD still stuck to their one way street scheme that got residents opposed.  But we have heard funding is still available from RMS if a solution that doesn't cause community outrage can be found. This is what we are offering, a way around (literally) the Lilyfield Rd hill issue, and that will encourage new cyclists, and put them closer to the shops and services in Leichhardt.  Mayor seemed keen to find a solution, but oddly (in my view) resisting telling GHD to investigate alternatives and come up with a consensus. He is leaving it to us.

A public meeting on the cycleway is scheduled for May 29. Will be pointless or just nasty if residents are still up in arms about one way streets etc. 

Anyone good at making videos, I am thinking of doing a run through of the alternative routes and showing the easier gradients etc?

Note that IWBC is still saying that Lilyfield Rd needs improving, as it will remain an attractive route to many.

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service