Burns Bay Road (again). Well inside 1m; in fact he pulled in even closer as he passed me. Unfortunately I didn't have the front camera running, so don't have this angle.

Given the location, I guess it's from the Chatswood station, which is the same place I have had complaints about this type of driving routinely dismissed and ridiculed.

What to do next, I wonder?

Views: 1158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it's very poorly done. A while ago, they removed the old markings, and it was so much better to ride on. I wrote about it here. https://chillikebab.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/fingertips/

However, they then put the markings back in, and it went back to being a conflict zone. And as you say, many of the markings are ambiguous, verging on lethal...

Contact a journalist? Shame them publicly (more so)?

Why - what's the point?

Adversarial conflict doesn't help anyone.. and it'll just highlight to the public that the cops maybe don't care about passing laws, so why should they?

I took the footage and my complaint to Chatswood police station this afternoon. They are 'looking into it'. Although I did have to educate the Duty Officer about the difference between 'bike lanes' and 'bike symbols'. That cry of 'get in the bike lane' is so pervasive...

I got a call from a senior office from the traffic division yesterday,

He went through the scenario with me, although he said we wished he had the actual video - I explained the cop on the front desk had refused to take it from me...

He then asked me what I wanted to happen; what action I wanted.

I said that at a minimum, I wanted the driver spoken to, reminded of his obligations and a general reminder given to all police drivers to leave much more than 1m when passing cyclists.

We spoke about this quite a bit, too and fro, and he was polite, sympathetic and clearly aware that the police driver had done the wrong thing. I did have to do more education about the 'bike lane' though, as he hinted at one point I should have been 'in the bike lane'...

So the driver is going to be spoken to. Perhaps I should have pushed harder for more action. But I got an apology, which to be honest is what I wanted.

Well done - I think this is a good outcome.

+1. Now for the rest of the population. Did you mention the UK West Midland Police campaign on close passing?

++

Great work.

The issue you found re lack of sufficient knowledge of bike route v/s "Cycle Lane" is common.

I wonder what the Police process is when new laws are put out there?

How they keep up to date?

Maybe THEY need to be retested often :-)

Doing as you did and going door knocking Police Stations could be a great way of getting the Police to understand our point of view and gain understanding of there cyclists are coming from!

RSS

Community Ads

© 2017   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service