https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=687061621333708&set=a.2...

(From FB)

Our thoughts and best wishes go to SXCC member Brendan Braid who was knocked from his bike by a car (hit and run) this morning while riding through Garrawarra. Thankfully, apart from a broken ankle and bruising and a very broken bike (see photo), he is ok. An ambulance took him to St George Hospital where is being patched up. Get well quickly Brendan! (PS The driver did not stop. It was a blue Laser with P plates and a Victorian number plate. If you see a car like this please take note of the registration number for the police)

Views: 10717

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What "punishment" do people think would succeed in ensuring that this young woman does not do the same thing again in the future - and puts out a message to others to not do it?

I agree that she thought she wouldn't get caught and didn't have a shred of conscience for the harm she had caused to the innocent cyclist.

A good behaviour bond would have been useless with this type of person.  We should all consider ourselves to be on good behaviour bonds every day of our lives.  In her case her moral code is skimpy and wouldn't be improved by a bond.  Nor would she be likely to obey the conditions of a suspended license.

I suspect a jail term is the only thing that might get through to her antisocial personality.

No punishment will work to do that for her. She might learn it with time and maturity, or she might not.

Maybe a short stint of weekend detention might help her reflect on the consequences of her actions, and the publication of such a result may have the effect of helping people make the decision not to leave a potentially dying human to a fate they created for that person.

Sure there is the heat of the moment, and people don't think clearly, even more reaon to have well publicised cases that if you seriously injure someone, you don't just leave them there to die. Most reasonable people automatically default to that by virtue of their humanity, some people need to have examples of what consequences they would likely face if they dont just listen to, or don't have much humanity to start with.

Full time custodial sentences, yeah, can be pretty crushing and usually result in loss of jobs etc as well as expose the person to full time institutionalisation. Often that can have the effect of being a crushing sentence.

But on the other hand, a mere disqual and fine sends the signal that is just a simple summary offence, move along, nothing really to see here. Just like a glorified parking fine. That being the case, why not just run if you hit someone in the knowledge that you just might escape any liability or consequence, but if you do get caught, no real liberties are lost (just a mere inconvenience if disqual).   

Its useful to get her off the bloody road for a couple of years which will in her case, literally make the road a safer place, and to make her treat it with responsibility when she inevitably regains the legal driving privilege.

People drive on suspended or cancelled licences all the time. 

I've even seen judges suspend the licences of people caught driving with a suspended licence as a punishment. 

I cannot repeat enough that suspending the licence of someone who hits and runs, is not a deterrent at all.  They do not believe they will be caught, so they do not care about compliance requirements.

The woman concerned, literally took to twitter the very same day blaming a non-existant p-plater for breaking her car windscreen.  ie it was more important to her to tweet about damage to her car than it was to call an ambulance for a seriously injured person.

I don't think we should assume that the collision was a case of SMIDSY or inattention. It's just as likely that it was a case of "there's a bastard cyclist, I'm gonna scare him, oops, I hit him, fuck, let's get out of here!"

And then using Facebook later that day to blame a phantom "P-Plater" for her broken windshield.

In other words she's one of that small minority of people who think it's fun to buzz cyclists in the same way somebody might think it was fun to fire a bullet a few inches from your head. And then a "mistake" happened. I don't have a lot of sympathy for her.

I think people act like this because they view cyclists as socially powerless, and that buzzing them will therefore be condoned by the wider society. I bet she thinks that by being charged with an offence society has inexplicably turned on her. She felt encouraged to do what she did, and now feels betrayed.

And so some high-profile jail terms for such people might well have a deterrent effect. It's about changing the culture through society rising up to say "cyclists are valued and protected - you can't bully them". For quite a few people that is a novel and yet unheard message.

According to the discussion on BNA, that Facebook 'alibi' post was created about 30 mins after it happened.

A normal person with a skerrick of compassion would think "shit, I better call an ambulance'. But no, we bugger off and jump onto Facebook and make shit up. Allegedly.

Lovely.

And yes I agree, meaningful change of attitudes will only come about as a result of some high profile sentences.

I bet people think twice about trying the 'Einfeld defence' now, for example

Saw the photo in the paper, a sad face doesn't elicit any sympathy from me. Go to gaol and have a long hard think about your actions. 

Get her off the roads, she and others have to realise that some action actions have consequences. This surely can't be excused by a nod and a wink and an I'm sorry, that doesn't cut it.

I'm finding this discussion really disappointing.  It's starting to go the way of Chapelle Corby and justice being determined based on the physical appearance of the defendant.  This is why justice is blind and needs to always be so.

Yeah thats a fair point. A youngish adult female pulling a sulky face and suddenly she's the victim.

Yet pretty much everyone on these boards would be happy to see Eugene McGee do some time.

Speak for yourself on both those points.  

In my opinion, if gaol is the answer then the wrong question has been asked.  

stuff that, she can't play russian roulette with someone elses life, just because she didn't want to go to court and risk a suspended sentence for a first neg driving occasioning gbh offence.

We have Brendans Law because that is a terrible criminal act.

As far as social media goes, this would be a one-page thread, and we wouldn't even know her name and there would be no photo in the paper, without the Brendans law offence.  ie some things have consequences.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service