Another rider came down on the slippery corner this morning just after 6 am and an ambulance had to be called, he was in a lot of pain from what looked like a dislocated / broken bone around his left elbow.

Can everyone who rides through there please email the council email@willoughby.nsw.gov.au and ask them to do something about that corner (fix the camber or at a minimum some signage), riders regularly come off there after rain or in winter as the corner is constantly shaded which allow moss to grow on the path.

I've sent a few complaints over the years but we need a lot of people to complain for anything to happen,

Picture for location:

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just shared this post with Willoughby Council, via the Share button. 

That's an old picture, isn't it?

It's been a long time since there was no fence around the oval...

Neil, the picture was taken on 20 Dec 2018, one day the council will pull their finger out and put a fence on that section. I'd also like to see that corner re-done so it's not such a sharp bend.

Oh, shit, I really should open my eyes then, next time I ride, very cautiously, down there!

A printer, a laminator and a few nails and you should be able to sort the signage out yourself.

We want motorists to drive to the conditions even if the infrastructure isn't perfect.  Shouldn't the same be expected of cyclists?  I have complete sympathy for anybody hurt in a road 'accident', but isn't the better approach to have better skills training and caution on our roads?

I'd also like to see that corner re-done so it's not such a sharp bend.

Wouldn't that just encourage greater speeds and thus more severe consequences?  The road is not a race track applies to us all.

Think of it like having black ice on a Sydney road, motorists aren't used it and can't see it, This corner is unfortunately shaded most of the time, this allows some sort of moss (not green unfortunately and not noticeable) to grow on that specific corner.

All it takes is dampness (the riders usually come off after it's been raining) and you don't need much speed for the bike to slide out under you. The riders that come off there aren't going fast, it's probably bad approach angle, tread pattern etc.

I don't get why most people commute on a racing bike in Sydney, it's like you walk into a bike shop wanting a bike to go grocery shopping and you walk out with the latest carbon fibre steed.

“Drive to the conditions” is all well and good, if not a bit of a cop-out overused by authorities,  but if you can’t see the condition it’s hard to drive to it. They orta “design to the conditions”!

Good path design should include  crossfall for drainage, but I rarely see camber used to provide better cornering. In this case if they cambered the path inward the water would all pool on the inside, uphill side, requiring a drain under the path, which would get blocked and the path would collect water, and there’d still be a problem. So, yeah, a “Slippery when wet “ sign might be the go, at least. Maybe some rougher aggregate on the inside of the bend?

Due to the unexpected nature of the slipperiness signage advice it as such would be helpful and may prevent further injuries.  It seems sensible hence my first comment.  (And a laminated sign probably would be more adhearded to than a regular metal yellow sign simply due to it being out of place!)

“Drive to the conditions” is all well and good, if not a bit of a cop-out overused by authorities,  but if you can’t see the condition it’s hard to drive to it. They orta “design to the conditions”!

Cop-out?  Hardly it is a reality.  It really sounds like buck passing of responsibility on others.  If you driving or riding well inside the safety envelope then unexpected conditions are unlikely to send you off.  If you are driving/riding at the edge of the safety envelope, well you are going to get a surprise.  The responsibility rests on the road user.  This seems to be a decent road made slippery thanks to a bit of nature.

(I've been caught out before on the bike when I haven't ridden with enough caution.  But the response should be focuses much more inward than outward when looking for cause and solution.)

It’s the old nonfeasance v malfeasance v misfeasance argument. Councils can get away with a certain amount of neglect of roads and paths, trip,hazards and  pot holes etc, on the  grounds of you should be looking where you are going, and “drivingto the conditions”, but if the problem has been notified and they don’t respond, or respond inadequately, they can be found liable, I believe.

in this case, if they put up a sign  it might get them off the non feasance charge, ie they did something, but they could still be open to misfeasance, in that they could have done something like putting in a camber or realigning the path or roughing up the surface, but didn’t. Putting up a sign is sort of admitting there is a problem but saying we can’t or won’t do anything to fix the problem.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service