Hi All,

found a good article on electric bikes that some may be interested in reading.

HERE'S THE LINK

Here's a snippet:

"In May, the Australian government amended the Australian Design Rules to adopt the European rule (EN 15194:2009), and this changed some of the rules around electric bikes. The biggest change was the increase to their permitted power output from 200 to 250 watts.

Motorised assistance will cut out at 25km/h. You can go faster than 25km/h, but you need to be pedalling – the battery will not provide any extra push.

While some countries, and some states of the US, allow electric bikes of up to 1,000 watts, any bicycle powered by an auxiliary motor that exceeds 250 watts in Australia will be classified a motorbike and must be registered and ridden by a licenced rider."

Views: 384

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Didn't know Aus Post was such a big user. Are these replacing the Honda stepthrough motos?

One of the links had this:

"Australia Post this year will bring back the bike for posties with 1000 new push and electrically assisted bicycles and tricycles after trials in Victoria and New South Wales. Victoria will get about 430 bicycles, mostly to inner suburban areas.....Nationally there are 378 bicycle rounds now and the new figures will nearly triple that number but will still be dwarfed by motorcycle rounds, which sit at about 6300. Andy Trott, Australia Post’s head of sustainability, said it was too early to determine how many rounds would be converted from motorcycle to bicycle but expected it to cut carbon dioxide-equivalent emissions by more than 1000 tonnes each year."

Motor cuts out at 25km/h, eh?

So I'm still faster overall without a motor, also I get to burn more calories and stay even fitter.

Win/win

You're not the target market :)

As long as the speed (limiting) sensor is working.

Regarding the 250W limit, I was thinking that a system ought to be designed around 48V 20A using a pair of 24V battery packs and a motor which is happy to accept 1kW. But in 'normal mode' you run your battery packs in parallel, so the motor only receives a maximum of 240VA (24V, 10A). Hurrah, that's good to go!

The 250W limit does not mean that the motor must burn out if it receives 251W. You can derate a 1kW motor and document+label it for a maximum of 250W.

Hi Martin,

You'll find that most motors have a range e.g. 250w - 500w, the manufacturer sets this inside the controller and it also depends on which battery voltage you plug in.

Like everything else if you have the right cable, software  and a laptop you too can program your bicycle...

That's right, there's probably a datasheet somewhere for every one of them covering the range of allowed power.

Good that some controllers are programmable. I'd probably do my own, but that's because I can, not necessarily because there is some advantage.

Just a random segway: electric and hybrid cars have some dangerous voltages and currents in them. This means that if one is burning fire brigade might let it burn rather than squirt it.

Actually if you want a better workout try pedalling an electric bike past its 25km assist limit, now that's exercise!

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service