There's a bunch of cyclists heading across WA on a course which will take them from Fremantle to Sydney Opera House via a circuitous route including some of the hardest climbs in the Australian Alps.

https://www.indianpacificwheelrace.com/

You can follow their progress here: https://indianpacificwheelrace.maprogress.com/?id=10112

(Thanks to Mr O' for bringing this to my attention via Twitter.) 

Views: 4130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

>so Mike just steered right a bit into a lane to avoid it?

This whole incident is just bad and I don't like to speculate, but you didn't balance your conjecture with a less victim centric explanation - so could the driver have been texting or otherwise been distracted, could the driver have simply driven directly into the back of Mike through no fault of Mike's at all?

Umm, yes I guess that is what I am trying to say.

Even if he was just out for a ride and not across Aust could have been Mike, a normal commuter, the lady in front of me on the day or anyone.

"could the driver have simply driven directly into the back of Mike through no fault of Mike's at all?"

That's my question too! Why has there been so little told about what happened if that was actually the case? Is someone pulling strings to avoid prosecution, or are there other factors in play? The fact that the race organizers have said nothing is also an unusual thing, regardless of coroner's involvement or not.

Of course none of this will change the result of the collision, but it may change the attitudes of those in power to protect the vulnerable users better, so that we are less subjected to this type of harassment.

watched a video report by Bicycling Australia(?) on youtube directly after the crash. Hinted at driver fault and then said he couldn't say anything.

It's up to the Coroner. So we must wait for that decision I'm afraid.

Same applies to the killing of Henri Sueke in 2015. The Coroner for that tragedy still hasn't offered a decision.

From SBS

First hearing in Mike Hall death inquest set

The first steps along the path towards an inquest into the death of Mike Hall, ultra-endurance cyclist who died whilst competing in the Indian Pacific Wheel Race, have been announced by the ACT Coroner's Court.

The event will return in 2018, with IndiPac organisers having made changes to a number of safety procedures.

I wonder what the changed safety procedures are?

I feel like a lot of the safety precautions are putting the onus on the vulnerable road user to not get killed. Would be nice to see some rule changes or additional regulations impacting on motorists.

How could the motorist not have been charged? Or were they?A hit from behind surely has to have some kind of catch all charge like failure to leave enough distance...

Anyone know if the route has been changed? It would be very solemn riding past the location where Mike Hall was killed.

JM

State Roads authorities don't care about cyclists.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-12/cyclist-death-at-macedon-prom...

Elephant in room line is "despite there being an 80 or 90 kilometre-an-hour speed limit, drivers don't expect to have to adjust their speed so they're less vigilant." This occurs on just about all roads, drivers "don't expect..." and the line about how "important it is that cyclists, pedestrians and motorists look out for each other" misses the point that it is motorists doing all the killing.

On my recent trip, I would have probably become a hood ornament on a cattle truck if I hadn't speared off into the undergrowth. Car coming in the opposite direction, trucky coming behind me at speed didn't deviate or slow down! Fortunately, I only bruised my arm due to being caught in the cleats as the bike went down. No one stopped to check that I was OK on this country road.

In my head I pictured a "blind" corner in the road with thick forest either side of the road.

So sad. Such a needless loss. I can't get over how everyone carries on like normal - but then I guess the family/friends don't carry on as normal.

We need to speak up to get changes made to the road rules, and how they are (not) enforced. Burden of proof should be on the motorist firstly. Then reduce the number of offences to a bare minimum but make them catchall. Failure to avoid a collision - penalty 6 months to 35 years etc...

JM 

following Audax lighting rules for one.

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service