Bicycle Victoria comes out fighting for the Dulwich Hill Bike Route

Bicycle Victoria has released a media release and submission in support of the Dulwich Hill to CBD bike route and that it should take precedence over the light rail. They propose sections of the light rail should be single track to allow the bike route to proceed.

See:

http://www.bv.com.au/change-the-world/91699/

They have asked my bike group for their support.  Its somewhat out of our territory.  I'm interested in your opinions.

Carolyn

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think there are a couple of reasons why BV might be taking on this battle but I do not want to elaborate publicly as they are only my own personal theories and could be libellous.

However, having said that, I think you should ignore that it is coming from BV (it's obviously not being taking up by our own state body for whatever reasons) and help Carolyn out by answering the questions. It is obviously something that Bike North can't address, so if there's anyone who would be affected by the Dulwich Hill cycle way, then please go to the link and follow through.
There are now a few competing schemes on offer, Friends of the Greenway compromise double track scheme, the GHD report, Eco Transit (who propose a path through the Lilyfield cutting too, but elevated above the rail line) and now BV through the Cycle Network. I guess you dont have to be a Victorian to be in CycleNetwork.

I would like the final plan to take a broader "corridor" approach and include on-road routes in the City to Leichhardt to Cooks River corridor, with a fairly broad definition of "corridor"- why be restricted to the rail line, or Anzac Bridge for that matter. For cyclists in Leichhardt/Annandale the rail line is not that useful, as it is on the periphery, and you still have to ascend to get from the canal or the rail line to get to most of Leichhardt or Balmain. Tebbutt St to Old Canterbury Rd would be a really useful link, as would Flood St to West St and cross Railway Tce to Denison St etc, which you can do now of course, but these routes could be upgraded. As could Allen St to Moore St , Catherine St and Brenan St to The Crescent, with option of Anzac Bridge or Glebe from there.

All these are useful alternatives to following the railway line. However, if they could agree to a path next to the railway, up and away from dogs and walkers etc, and over Parramatta Rd, from Lilyfield through to and under Old Canterbury Rd I'd be happy.

As BV/Cyclenetwork says, the cost benefit is much better for cycling facilities, so to take the penny pinching GHD approach doesnt make sense.
I asked BV what they were up to and got a reply that they thought the Dept of Transport should be forced to examine the single track running option (cycleway using one line in places) on its merits and not dismiss it before they even start. Based on a benefit to cost analysis it might come out ahead of the two track light rail. The problem is that BV are muddying the waters and confusing people with having to pick a winner between FOG and BV and Ecotransit proposals.

I got a call from the Dept of Transport asking for ideas from cyclists, so suggest everyone just put up the ideas without trying to pick the winner - how can we figure out that anyway? There is plenty of money apparently and some of these ideas might get a guernsey. Send ideas to lightrail@transport.nsw.gov.au by Monday 7 June.

My contribution to the debate, as in previous post, is to go for corridor improvements from Anzac Bridge to Dulwich Hill, including on road routes, not just restricted to the rail line, e.g. improvements to Lilyfield Rd (or through the goods line area) between Balmain Rd and Anzac Bridge approaches included, and a link somehow from Darley Rd to Balmain Rd, that avoids the steep hill on Lilyfield Rd or the steep bit of Darley Rd. The Charles St ped. overpass could be useful to cross the CWL if the ramp was improved on the south side.
Thanks for the email address Bob. A quick submission duly sent:

"Suggestions for design of the proposed Greenway

It appears that there are two competing proposals for the greenway - either have a single light rail line with a cycleway OR have a two way lightrail with no cycleway. Clever engineering design can surely allow both dual lightrail AND cycleway routes to co-exist.

In the long tunnel, where it would be dangerous to allow pedestrians/cyclists, an alternative overland route should be constructed.

A suggestion on how to permit both the light rail and cycle path on the over-bridges is to use a clip on lane. Perhaps the soon to be defunct clip on lane from the Iron Cove bridge could be reused? A clip on lane would avoid the currently convoluted traverse of Parramatta Rd, and avoid the dangerous crossing of Marion St, thus creating a more direct route for commuters on weekdays, and a better graded route for kids on weekends.

Cycleway connections from the Greenway must integrate with existing routes. This includes ensuring that surrounding paths are continuous and are appropriately signed for end to end journeys.

Those involved in the design should seek out local a Bicycle User Group, eg www.lbug.org.au/ for local opinions, as well as cycle around the proposed route to gain an end-user perspective of requirements.

Design of the cycleway should comply with the best practice described in Australian Standard HB 69. Guide to traffic engineering practice, Part 14: Bicycles."
Well, I think that there are merits to leaving the rail corridor double-track for the trams. Think about it - if the tram service is frequent and effective, there will be a massive reduction in cars on the streets, freeing them up to be safer for cyclists.

However, I'm still on the fence on this one. There are practical ways to work the tram as a single-line with automatically-signalled block sections, but it does limit the possible frequency of the tram service, and increase the amount of equipment needed to operate the service effectively.
I live about 50 metres from the proposed start of the Dulwich Hill Interchange Light Rail stop. When I commute in the only way to go is west, then north, then to Lilyfield Road and then over Anzac Bridge. Its a semi-circle but little traffic, fast roads, and good average speeds. I average 24.5kms per hour to the city. This is just not possible by the most direct route through Newtown.

My neighbour usually does Canada Bay as an added extra, to get a great exercise ride in on his way to work.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service