I went to see Bikes vs Cars yesterday as part of the Sydney Film Festival.  It's a documentary about urban planning really.  

There's some real gems in there and worth watching if you get the chance.  It looks at the centrality of cars in planning and infrastructure decisions in Sao Paulo and LA as well as contrasting this with the priorities of urban activists.

Some gems of interviews such as with a Copenhagen taxi driver who is resigned to having to be a careful professional driver who must contend with thousands of cyclists who seem to get all the resources.   And a professor who thinks congestion is a good thing because it will force other choices. 

But I really like the Sao Paulo woman who is a cycling advocate who rides fearlessly through the traffic despite one person being killed every week.  The vision of her splitting lanes, riding no hands on a single speed wearing a dress in heavy traffic is something else. I wanted to be her :-)

There's a lot to think about.  Many activists in the doco were convinced the car industry lobbyists were to blame.  I'm less sure about that in Australia and think that might be one influence but perhaps not the dominant one.  Anyway, will think more about that. 

Views: 414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't think so.  It is still doing film festivals so unlikely to be online anywhere just yet. 

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service