Bourke Rd cycleway part-removal near Gardeners Rd Mascot (WestConnex)

From a FB post from Clover Moore over the weekend. I no longer ride it as have moved from the middle-ring south, so haven't seen the changes in person. 

>>>

WestConnex contractors have torn up one of our safe, separated bike lanes without consultation or notification and with no alternate route or signage. *Please be careful if you're cycling along Bourke Road near Gardeners Road.*

Last night, we heard from cyclists that part of the Bourke Road cycleway had been removed and we’ve spent all day trying to get to the bottom of it. When it became clear, we were horrified.

No consultation, notification or any kind of alternative. Cyclists heading down Bourke Road found the dual-direction cycleway was all of a sudden gone, with no protection between them and oncoming traffic. It is a miracle no one was hurt.

The speed with which the concrete safety barriers were removed, and green cycleway painted over black, is extraordinary when you consider that no time was taken to inform us or the community this was happening, or consider the safety of cyclists and pedestrians.

Today we spoke to RMS who said the cycle path is closed and will be for 18 months. We demanded they immediately install barriers where the cycleway closure is, to stop cyclists entering the road traffic. It's not a great solution for cyclists but at least no one will get hurt. You can see the barriers and accompanying, pathetic signage in these photos.

We’re asking them what the alternate route/traffic management plan is. Meanwhile, cycleway users are spat onto a narrow footpath, which is illegal for them to ride on.

I will update you on the Bourke Road cycleway changes when we know more. For now, please ride cautiously in this area and tag any friends who may ride here, so they're aware and safe too.

Views: 1037

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's another subject. :-)

I'm starting to think of leaving the course. It's well-taught. I'm just not sure if I can handle the frustration of asking people for interviews and just being ignored for another 3 years as a student and then for a career..

I expect there are tricks of the trade, such as hiding in politician's toilets.

A feeling well known to bicycle advocates, but occasionally you get a win;)

RSS

Community Ads

© 2017   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service