Experience has shown that the only way to influence projects is to get in at the project design stage rather than wait for the "community consultation" roadshow.  So, we did.

BIKESydney, BIKEast and BicycleNSW this week scored the coup of meeting with Transport for NSW in a meeting devoted to discussion of cycling's integration with the CBD and South East Light Rail (CSELR) Project

Check out all the updates on the BIKESydney website

Please DO contribute ideas (in this thread, on our website, or via facebook). Like the current Sydney Airport consultation, there's a real chance to influence outcomes here.  Winning those outcomes will certainly depend on the community making a noise. 

Views: 1458

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

as you well know driver behaviour has only deteriorated in the last twenty years, not improved.

Agreed, probably from frustration at all the congestion from everyone driving everywhere. It's not a good reason to oppose light rail which will remove people from their cars.

Don't you think that cutting Anzac Parade from 3 lanes to 2 (the parking spots are near ES Marks Stadium btw not the shops of Kingsford or Kensington and will only be available for a couple of hours a day), making the lanes narrower - will only increase the congestion and frustration with cyclists trying to stay alive?

When in the late 80s they were trying to repair the sewers and water mains in Kensington they cut it down to 2 lanes each way and narrowed those 2 lanes. It became like Russian roulette getting through that stretch - with cars turning right often not indicating and trying to ride along Anzac Parade (northwards in the mornings) seeing cyclists frequently sideswiped +/or forced to jump up onto the footpath.

Well as the CSELR has less capacity (just 1/3rd actually) than the buses it is to eliminate - it is likely to have the opposite effect - put more people into cars.

Just have a look at Portland Oregon (where the project director hails from) - the routes where LR replaced buses saw ridership fall - even with free travel in the city centre as well as free car parking at LR stops for the last half of the route away from central Portland.

One positive, as the LR also took longer than the buses replaced - more people now cycle or walk.  So the LR is losing large amounts and the operator (TriMet) has cut services to just a few per hour - so public transport capacity has fallen while the debt load expands.

Don't you think that cutting Anzac Parade from 3 lanes to 2 (the parking spots are near ES Marks Stadium btw not the shops of Kingsford or Kensington and will only be available for a couple of hours a day), making the lanes narrower - will only increase the congestion and frustration with cyclists trying to stay alive?

No, I think it's a big improvement. There's a competition between cycling and driving to win over the hearts and minds of Sydney residents. Anything that reduces the attractiveness of driving helps to increase the relative attractiveness of cycling.

Reduction in the amount of car lanes, increases in car congestion and increases in the frustration levels of drivers - these are all positives. Bring 'em on.

Let's relegate the role of private cars to catering to the sick and the injured.

But Colin, the CSELR won't allow either taxis or private cars to drop off the sick or injured - that's exactly the point.

I know who comes off worst from narrower traffic lanes, and it is not the truck!

Getting back to the topic, the effects of the LR on cyclists, it seems we missed the boat on the Sth Dowling crossing. There was an option of a viaduct, according to this. Is that still possibility alive?

That whole series of pdfs (1 to 7) has  detail of Lawson Place, Chalmers St, Devonshire St etc. Lawson Pl looks like it is to become one way for cars or buses, from Pitt to George. Damn, there goes my route to Central from Thomas St.  Shared path also unlikely as the footpath is to be narrowed. Chalmers becomes a one way single lane past the tram stops. I guess cyclists can still use the shared footpath, or whizz up Randle St with the traffic and down Elizabeth, which will become 2 way until Foveaux intersection. Pity Randle lane is one way south. 

The crossing of South Dowling was confirmed in August as being at grade (on the road) with a new traffic signal controlled intersection approximately where the north bound entrance to the ED is on South Dowling - near the alcohol dependency unit.

The frequent changes to what Rawson Place et al will be is getting out of hand.  There is still no idea of how bikes will co-exist given the rerouting of buses from George St to Elizabeth St around central.  The traffic light phasing just seems doomed to fail.

Perhaps that's the real driving force - fining cyclists for sneaking through the gridlocked traffic by running red lights!

calm down andrew please

Crossing Moore Park via a cut and cover tunnel vs a viaduct has been decided upon. As Andrew has stated, the light rail will cross South Dowling at grade (road) level. The light rail will have the right of way / travelling across traffic on South Dowling, Bourke, Crown, Elizabeth/Chalmers Streets

so what does that mean for cyclists crossing Sth Dowling? do we just wait for a tram and use it as a cover? what if no trams for a while- no on  demand for us I guess, a  2- 3 -4 min wait? 

Rawson Pl is concerning. Cyclists could go up Barlow, and detour around the Mckell building, but I enjoy turning left off George and zipping up to Eddy Av.

so what does that mean for cyclists crossing Sth Dowling? do we just wait for a tram and use it as a cover? what if no trams for a while- no on  demand for us I guess, a  2- 3 -4 min wait? 

No go for cyclists as the LR trains disappear into the tunnel that goes under Moore Park.  At a briefing TNSW said too expensive for a pedestrian or cyclist route alongside.

Rawson Pl is concerning. Cyclists could go up Barlow, and detour around the Mckell building, but I enjoy turning left off George and zipping up to Eddy Av.

With the loss of so many traffic lanes and buses being shifted across to Elizabeth (and a new island platform) as well as no go to any traffic other than local residents (business) it will provide much infringement revenue I'm sure.

Not sure how good the rail lines will be given the turns into and out of the chicane they're planning.  Really good for 23mm tyres!

RSS

© 2020   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service