According to BikeSydney, the genius in charge of roads in this state has announced that the College St cycleway will indeed be ripped up. I haven't heard when yet.

The suggestion has been made (by the former SC #1 poster, Kylie, via Twitter, from Queensland) that cyclists should demonstrate in front of the bulldozers.

If you wanna do this, you can say so below.

Would be good to get a few hundred bodies on the ground, so to speak, on the day. Are you in?

*Metaphorically speaking, probably

Views: 3207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The whole document is a crock, predicated on shoe-horning more cars into Sydney's CBD. This is counter to thinking in just about every other major world city. We need fewer cars in the city.

The problem could be solved simply by instituting a congestion charge. Better use could then be made of the under-utilised CCT.

Why is it that the LNP, the coalition of "user-pays", is so reluctant to make the people causing the problem contribute to the costs they impose on the city and the taxpayer? It's political gutlessness on a grand scale.

"Why is it that the LNP, the coalition of "user-pays", is so reluctant to make the people causing the problem contribute to the costs they impose on the city and the taxpayer?"

It is becoming increasingly evident that the selection criteria for LNP candidates at both State and Fe'ral level are:

1. Must be stupid beyond doubt;
  2. Must be corrupt or corruptible;
  3. Must be able to lie through one's teeth with sincerity; and
  4. Must have no idea about how real people try to survive in our current communities!

No doubt there are other aspects of the candidate's character that will offer them no redeeming features.

I agree.

To answer your question, I think it is coz they rely on the bogue vote and prey on the anxiety of the ill educated who watch to much trash TV.

For fun you can compare this to the Transport planning of Melbourne.

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/AboutCouncil/PlansandPublications/s...

(A fairer comparison would be a policy/plan released by VicRoads.  However they don't seem to have one)

Practically speaking, the romantic notion of Neil riding his bike up the bike lane whilst a crazed 'dozer drive pursues him, ripping up the tarmac with his shovel as he goes isn't likely to happen.

First they will probably put up safety fences - this will likely happen overnight. Then the pneumatic drills will come in, and the whole process will take a few weeks. Think something closer to the removal of the monorail.

The whole destruction of this cycleway is about Dunc's re-election prospects. He knows it's stupid, but he has to follow through on something to do with removing bike lanes as he's talked about it so much. Same with the speed cameras - he was originally talking about ripping them all out too as an unfair 'tax', but after looking at it found out they do actually work - so I think they took out a handful just so he could pose with a shovel. It looks good in the Tele and plays well with the bogan vote.

I suggest fly-posting large signs o the safety fences saying 'honk if you support cycleways', and then have cyclists ride really slowly on that street in peak time, giving waves and thumbs up whilst pointing at the signs to anyone who honks in frustration...

"First they will probably put up safety fences - this will likely happen overnight."

I agree, this is probably how it will happen. Probably not much opportunity for lying in front of bulldozers.

I live on the western side of the CBD, but commute via Surry Hills, Bourke St, Oxford St and College St bike path three days out of five on average. More than happy to continue with the same route - taking a full lane - if the bike path is torn up.

I like the suggestion of frequent mini CMs along College St. Count me in.

I like that idea too. If I'm in Sydney at the time, count me in for that OR lying down in front of bulldozers. 

yep im in

RMS obviously don't share the Melbourne vision

"
The key directions are:
• Integrate transport and land use planning.
• Go anywhere, anytime public transport for inner Melbourne.
• Support public transport, walking and cycling as the dominant modes of transport in inner Melbourne.
• Develop high-mobility pedestrian and public transport streets in the central city.
Make Melbourne a cycling city.
• Foster innovative, low-impact freight and delivery in central Melbourne.

If Bob is right about this: "College Street cycleway will be removed after key links of the expanded cycleway network are completed", we don't need to lie in front of bulldozers.

But can we really believe that? And what are the "key links" to which they refer?

Of course, lying in front of bulldozers is really just a metaphor. There are many other things which we could do, some of which have been suggested. The "Critical Mass"-style action of occupying the car lanes is a beauty but it takes lots of people to do properly. That's why we need lots of people to commit to action, though without a date it's hard.

We also really need an established advocacy organisation to take up the cause, run it, publicise it with the media at the appropriate time and follow through with some visible action. Bicycle NSW, I am looking at you. You say on Twitter that you are working hard to stop the CSC being destroyed. I am here to help and so are a lot of SCers. Let's make it not happen... er, that doesn't read well but you know what I mean.

Send your comments on the Sydney City Centre Capacity Improvement Car Shoe-Horning Plan to:

Project Manager Sydney City Centre Capacity Improvement Plan Roads and Maritime Services PO Box 609 Pyrmont NSW 2009

or email  to: cbd_access@rms.nsw.gov.au

All submissions should be received by 9 January 2015.

(Thanks, Bob Moore)

Tell 'em their plan sucks and they have it backwards. Do it now. I did:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the opportunity to comment.

Unfortunately, the plan you have presented is totally flawed and should be scrapped. It attacks the "problem" from completely the wrong angle.

Your "Capacity Improvement Plan" is predicated on shoe-horning more cars into Sydney's CBD. This is counter to thinking in just about every other major world city. We need fewer cars in the city.

The problem you are trying to address could be solved simply by instituting a congestion charge. Better use could then be made of the under-utilised Cross-City Tunnel to divert cars from city streets.

CBD footpaths are already overcrowded for much of the day. The idea of narrowing any of them is patently ridiculous and will disadvantage the many for the sake of the few in an attempt to benefit the least efficient users of scarce city space.

Similarly, the proposed removal of the College St Cycleway is a recipe for increasing congestion. Counts show that more bicycles are using the cycleway than the number of cars in the adjacent traffic lane. If cyclists do not have the College St cycleway what will they do? Most likely they will stop cycling and return to driving or further overcrowding the stretched public transport network. The remaining riders will be forced to share traffic lanes with cars and will therefore slow them down. Though in reality the speed of cars in the Sydney CBD is so low that most cyclists can easily outstrip them. So, it is likely that removing the cycleway will not benefit motorists at all.

In short, may I suggest that you reverse your thinking. Build more capacity for non-motorised modes in the Sydney CBD and fund these facilities by charging the people who are creating the problems you are supposedly addressing for the costs they impose on taxpayers.

Yours sincerely

Neil

RSS

© 2020   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service