I just got this from Clover Moore/City of Sydney:

Connected Cycleways a Must
I’m writing to you because you previously contacted me in support of a connected bike network into and through central Sydney. Thank you for your support.

The NSW Government and the City of Sydney have jointly agreed on a connected bike network in the
city centre that we all need. Cycling infrastructure increases the capacity of existing roads and makes it safer for all. Together the government and the City are investing in separated cycleways and linking
them to existing and new bicycle networks.

Vested-interest groups and right-wing media have stepped up their campaign in recent weeks against
the City’s safe, separated bike network.
Despite the fact that bike networks are a normal part of other global cities, these groups say Sydney
doesn’t need one.

Despite support from most of the community and business, they say no-one wants a network.
And despite thousands of riders on our network every day, they say no-one is riding.
They ignore facts and will stop at nothing to halt progress.
We need you to speak louder than they do!

Here’s what to do:
Let your voice be heard and register your support for the NSW Government’s and the City of Sydney’s
network plans.

Use social media, call or write to:
the NSW Premier, The Hon. Mike Baird MP, at www.nsw.gov.au/your-government/contact-premier-new-south-wales ;
the Minister for Roads, The Hon. Duncan Gay MLC, at www.nsw.gov.au/contact-minister-roads-freight
; or
the Minister for Transport, The Hon. Gladys Berejiklian MP, at www.nsw.gov.au/contacttransportminister .

Heard business doesn’t support bikes?

Here’s what they really say:
The Sydney Business Chamber: “Most businesses now support staff who want to cycle to work.”
The Property Council: “I know the debate about bike paths can be a contentious one – but it is
being led by people who work in the city. This is evident in the growing number of property
managers installing bike lockers and showers in office buildings.”
The Committee for Sydney: “It is reassuring to see the ongoing commitment to light rail, strategic
improvements for pedestrians and the continued rollout of cycleways.”
Meriton: “As more Sydneysiders start cycling, we have embraced the benefits and want to
encourage our residents to do the same. A lack of bicycle parking has been a common frustration
for apartment dwellers in Sydney to date. We are building tomorrow’s communities and cycling is
only going to become more popular as a means of transport.”
I urge you to please make sure your voice is heard.

Yours sincerely
Clover Moore
Lord Mayor of Sydney

Views: 713

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Someone posted these words on FB, I think they are a good start for our emails.

"PERSPECTIVE: This year 262 have died on NSW roads, 70% were male, and 70% were in rural areas — 36 pedestrians were killed, and 10 pedal cyclists. As far as we can tell nobody was killed by a cyclist. The real threat is still vehicles, and the NSW Government needs to keep its focus on vehicle, driver and road safety programs and messages. That is all. The attacks on cycling by the shallow–end media and the Roads Minister must stop. The absolute focus should be on reducing the death toll, making roads safer for everyone, taking the heat out of congestion issues and aggravated drivers and stop seeking out scapegoats."

Obviously that can be followed by discussion of need for the safe separated bike network, and the need to govt to deliver on that program in return for the taxes it collects.

http://ibikelondon.blogspot.com.au/

seem London is having a similar fight ,one step forward , two steps back

My letter to the Premier, Transport Minister & Cars Minister:
I am writing to express my personal and professional support for the NSW Government's Sydney City Centre Access Strategy.

My family and I visit the Sydney CBD frequently for work, business, shopping and social activities. We travel to and within the CBD using a variety of transport modes: car, motorcycle, rail, light rail, bus, taxi, bicycle and walking. I therefore welcome the move towards an integrated transport system and the creation of priority zones for different transport modes.

However, I am concerned about reports that a vocal minority is opposing elements of the Strategy, in particular a key link in the bicycle network along Castlereigh Street.

I support the new protected bicycle path on Castlereigh Street because:

• It will fill in the crucial missing link in the Airport-Green Square-Redfern-CBD bicycle route. A bicycle route is only as good as its weakest link. The current mixed traffic environment on Castlereigh St would be terrifying for most people, and women and children in particular. Until safe, continuous and connected bicycle routes exist, the opportunity to get around by bicycle (and enjoy the consequential health and financial benefits) will largely be restricted to fearless males.
  • Bicycles are a space-efficient way of moving people, and should therefore be encouraged in the CBD where there is limited space and continued residential and employment growth.
  • Only 27% of trips to the CBD and 4% of trips within it are made by car. However, these cars take up a disproportionate amount of valuable space (about 50% of the CBD's total land area has been given over to roads and parking). They also have a serious impact on city amenity, causing noise pollution, petrochemical smog, crashes and fear and intimidation.
  • By comparison, less than 1% of the CBD’s land area is currently allocated to bicycles.

I do not support the proposed removal of the College St cycleway because:

• It is a crucial link in the Eastern Suburbs-CBD bicycle route. Again, a bicycle route is only as good as its weakest link.
  • The cycleway already carries a large volume of bicycle traffic from the Eastern Suburbs. If it is demolished, some of this traffic will divert to the Castlereigh cycleway, but I expect that a large proportion will continue to use College St. In this case, the load will be spread across two traffic lanes (one Northbound, one Southbound), whereas at present it is largely confined to a single traffic lane (the bidirectional cycleway). This will create additional friction and delay for motor vehicles on College St, and increase the potential for collisions.
  • Adding an extra traffic lane to College St will not help congestion in the long term. The volume of motor vehicle traffic (and associated noise and air toxin emissions) will always adjust to the amount of space provided for it. Congestion is inevitable wherever the latent demand for road space is greater than the supply.
  • A significant amount of public money was spent on the construction of this cycleway, and it has clearly been a success. It does not make any sense to destroy it now. The economic and social costs of doing so would far outweigh any benefit.

I urge you to ignore the vocal minority opposing the Castlereigh Street cycleway. Experience tells us that opposition to change disappears once people see the that their concerns were unfounded, and they can see the benefits. In particular, surveys have shown that local business owners become supportive of bicycle infrastructure after it has been built, because of the additional trade it brings them.

Good letter

I am also hearing that the Clarence St cycleway is to be canned grrrrrr

Clarence  st cycleway?

I didn't realise there was going to be one.

Castlreagh, not Clarence.

er, sorry I meant Castlereagh … it's the one soon to be axed by Duncan Gay

Or not, if enough of us send in emails

You mean College.

Though Castlereagh not a done deal yet either... and even if it were built some d!ckhead in govt would decide it is in the wrong place.

Meanwhile from the SMH: 

Middle-aged obesity costing hospitals $4 billion per year 

results suggested that even small improvements in the levels of overweight and obesity in the population would reap worthwhile savings in terms of people's health and overall costs to the hospital system

I wonder how we can provide a safe environment for more people to exercise more? Thinking, thinking.

Maybe include Jillian Skinner in any emails office@skinner.minister.nsw.gov.au

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service