Just noticed the shop is empty. Cranks north Sydney has gone.

Have they moved or gone under or something else?

Does anyone know?

This could be old news. I haven't been past the shop for a month or so.

Views: 6417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

:) Well, to this point it has! Our next steps will be interesting, though...

high priced stock in three different shades which hangs around seems to be real issue for any lbs.

tks for the link Rob, like that a lot, just wondering if this cheaper trend means peoples will give bikes less love and see close to worn out as a chance to turn around more often with new and old going via hard garbage months?

That kind of thinking is something we are keen to avoid by educating people about how to maintain their bicycle properly so you don't just run parts into the ground and how for the most part repairing is cheaper than replacing.

That said, some of the new technologies and their price points do make that an uphill battle. No more repacking hubs and bottom brackets with loose bearings when you can just replace the cartridge for a few dollars, if not buy a whole new bottom bracket for $20. I'm about to freshen up my drive train and was looking up the price for replacement chainrings - it is cheaper for me to buy a whole new crankset than it is to just buy three replacement rings!

I'm wondering whether cycling evolved such that people buy fewer repairs anyway.

A decade ago something would wear or break often and I saw the shops a lot. Aluminium frames, derailleurs, rims, forks. Really a lot of product on the market then was intended to last the warranty period only.

These days even online sales to me are few, everything I use is made to last. 2012 saw me buying consumables (chains, tyres & tubes) plus just one bike shop job which was changing a BB cartridge I smashed.

Agree. I recently purchased a ladies bike for my wife. We were looking for pretty much the same bike a few years ago when we bought her previous model, but it didn't exist at that time (at least, we couldnt find one) and had to settle for a compromise bike. I think the market in this country is changing. Much happier with the new bike than we ever were with the old one.

I tend to agree that servicing would be a good business model.  Look at the number of independent car servicing shops.  I did overhear a comment from the owner of Burwood Cycles the other day, speaking to the mechanics: "you guys might be good at fixing bikes, but what I really need are people who can sell new ones".  Is this a reference to poor margins in the servicing business?  Or as Baa Baa says, do you need a large service centre in order to get economies of scale?

The Drummoyne bike shop closed a year or so ago too.  So who knows how to remove the locations from the ridethecity map??

PS Cranks website is still up...

Definitely a reference to the margins.

this bloke is well within a 6 of 32 busted spokes riding distance to me and seems to be doing quite well ( lots of bikes in and out front and a small shop, staff is just Jordon and a weekender)

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2012/03/ride-wave-independent-bike-mecha...

Apparently I am "cyclists" :P

Despite the closures, there are some new shops popping up.  Reid, and some other inner city shops, have a somewhat different business model to the shops which are shutting.  Inexpensive, ready to go, utilitarian bikes seem to be the mark of success.

I can't, from logic, buy new toner cartridges for my printer because a new (better) printer costs less.  Sad but true.  Are bikes going the same way?

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service