Cyclists beware - there are two crazy people driving around Sydney, who do NOT like cyclists. It's a dark red Mitsubishi sedan, their number plates are covered with cardboard with "TRAFFIC" written on in texta.

Yesterday afternoon the guy on the right threw a battery at me, and then got out of the car and punched me. I suppose that's assault and battery?

N.B. I have reported this to the police. They're not hopeful of catching them, given they don't have any good images of their faces, or a car rego.

UPDATE: A friend of a friend said this car is sometimes parked in Petersham. Keep your eyes peeled in that area.

FURTHER UPDATE: My business partners will kill me if I don't plug our bike shop, Omafiets Dutch Bicycles. If the people in the photo are identified, I would love to buy them a beer, and lend them a couple of bikes from the shop for a week, so they could ride around the Inner West. I think they'd be pleasantly surprised - and might make it a regular form of transport? They could even do the City of Sydney's free cycling courses.
I'm not interested in pressing charges. I think a better outcome would be if these people were able to gain a bit of insight, and empathise with other road users. There is too much antagonism on the roads, and I don't want to contribute to that.

Views: 40479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Chris,

I want to write an article about the incident.

Do you mind if I interview you sometime in the next few days?

thanks

Steve

Looks like the driver's side wing mirror is missing or at least damaged. I'd be willing to bet $10 it's removal involved some kind of altercation with a cyclist.

The pool cleaner in the passenger seat appears to have something like a tattoo or graze on his right forearm.

Karma says they'll get caught up in the rolling with Clover ride... and be ever so slightly outnumbered.

Did any kind of incident or altercation preceed the battery throwing and assault or was it completely unprovoked?

You know that bit of Enmore Rd and King St, between the intersection at Station St (the closed Newtown RSL) and Wilson St? I was riding east, in the middle of the lane (there are some parked cars for about 20 metres, and it's too narrow to ride next to them). So, not being able to pass, they started beeping at me.

When the parking ended in the left lane and they could have passed me, they instead just sat behind me yelling and beeping. Then we stopped at the red light to turn onto Wilson, and they threw the battery.

Wow... classy woman.

If the police were undercover and ON BICYCLES... they'd catch them.

Wow, that was fast

newslink

Newspaper couldn't get more inflammatory if it tried.

Indeed... just having a look for them gets upped to 'vigilante', I wrote opposite to that.

Hey good to have publicity, it might just send a message to bad actors that they are might not get away with what they are doing. I know it might mean these offenders go "uh oh" and remove their car from the streets, but in some ways that's a good outcome.

I never spoke to him about it, but just saw this tweet from a mate of mine who runs thewall.com.au, a news aggregator site:

“@edmundtadros: A popular Google search this morning @thewallau: "crazy car in newtown"”

Seems the word is getting out.

wait so  you took this picture before any of it ever happened? clearly they were being offensive before you even turned!

This photo is post-battery, pre-punch.

Now I know the photo is pre-punch, the guy does look to be reaching down to undo his seat belt whist swearing at you.

RSS

Community Ads

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by DamianM.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service