Cyclists beware - there are two crazy people driving around Sydney, who do NOT like cyclists. It's a dark red Mitsubishi sedan, their number plates are covered with cardboard with "TRAFFIC" written on in texta.

Yesterday afternoon the guy on the right threw a battery at me, and then got out of the car and punched me. I suppose that's assault and battery?

N.B. I have reported this to the police. They're not hopeful of catching them, given they don't have any good images of their faces, or a car rego.

UPDATE: A friend of a friend said this car is sometimes parked in Petersham. Keep your eyes peeled in that area.

FURTHER UPDATE: My business partners will kill me if I don't plug our bike shop, Omafiets Dutch Bicycles. If the people in the photo are identified, I would love to buy them a beer, and lend them a couple of bikes from the shop for a week, so they could ride around the Inner West. I think they'd be pleasantly surprised - and might make it a regular form of transport? They could even do the City of Sydney's free cycling courses.
I'm not interested in pressing charges. I think a better outcome would be if these people were able to gain a bit of insight, and empathise with other road users. There is too much antagonism on the roads, and I don't want to contribute to that.

Views: 40541

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Same situation applies in NSW as in Vic  re Unregistered Vehicle Permit. You need a good reason for one though. You can drive an unregistered vehicle in NSW for reasons related to getting it registered, In Vic I think the same applies but only to an Inspection Station.
A UVP needs NOT be used for purposes related to registration in either NSW or Vic. They can be issued for "other" purposes. You can even drive interstate on a UVP provided that is specified in the application and approved - they are mostly recognised interstate (there may be an exception or two).

Bill, that 'License Plate' isnt bluetacked on, it is screwed on, and it IS illegal to mis-represent your registration, if it isn't, please let me know, there is a car up the road whose plates I would like to use.

A UVP is allowed to be used to move you to a location, not to be driven around with, and is -NOT- to be used in place of registration, as 3rd party (TAC) is a legal requirement for car.

The next person that reckons he is not breaking the law, please read it first.

Cheers, Edward from Drive to Work Day 

To me, it looks like Mitsubishi Lancer 1988-1991.

When I first saw the picture I thought Lancer too, but they are a bit similar without anything to gauge the size of the pusbox.

With the Vic permits you can drive interstate too I think, but it's all to do with driving it to repairers, I think you'd have a difficult time explaining cruising around on a Sunday. 

It's a Mitsubishi Galant SE from  Sept 1990 - Dec 1992. By the look of how close the rear window is to the rear seats, it appears to be a sedan as well. Also as mentioned earlier, the driver's side mirror has been damaged (i.e ripped off).

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/1D85F34BF3F9949DC...

What was this bit about Chris?

"Yesterday afternoon the guy on the right threw a battery at me, and then got out of the car and punched me. I suppose that's assault and battery"

Not a fair way to treat another person, but after 30 yrs cycling in sydney i can believe it.
Grab a GoPro camera and mount it discretely
.Use on your commute. Then shame the idiots
or take to police or 'a current affair.
Apparently, it was used in NY when couriers
continually parked in the bike lanes with positive outcome.

Don't even need to spend up on a GoPro. I have been using an  $45 eBay special for 12 months now.

Looks like channel 7 could be leading with this story for their 6pm news.

I just sat through 17 minutes of the Channel 7 news for that, and may have to scrub my brain clean for a week. People who watch that shit must have a seriously warped view of the world.

But the cycling story was quite good - generally positive about cycling, and framing it within the idea of Newtown as being a hippy-dippy place where people like bikes and everybody gets along, save for these two miscreants with their "TRAFFIC" numberplates.

Hi all,

I ride most days to work and for general fitness, I am always getting the horn blasted at me any time of day or night. I love that you took their photo....... I done the same on Friday evening about 7pm on Priness Hwy Rockdale. My offenders just took off when they realised I was taking there photo.

I missed there Rego due to too much traffic on the road, but they got the idea.

We really have to ask.....What have our loyal police been doing to track these idiots down. Its a little late when we are Dead or lying in a hospital bed on life support.

This photo has 24840 views......we have the numbers to make change

After all the analysis today, all the media, did we jump to negative conclusions about these two?

Did they just notice chris's rear flasher wasn't on and thought they would provide him a new battery in case his was flat?

Then they usually being clearly the epitome of eloquence and etiquette took particular issue with chris not thanking them profusely for their generosity?

Glass could be half full...

/s

RSS

Community Ads

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by DamianM.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service