Cyclists beware - there are two crazy people driving around Sydney, who do NOT like cyclists. It's a dark red Mitsubishi sedan, their number plates are covered with cardboard with "TRAFFIC" written on in texta.

Yesterday afternoon the guy on the right threw a battery at me, and then got out of the car and punched me. I suppose that's assault and battery?

N.B. I have reported this to the police. They're not hopeful of catching them, given they don't have any good images of their faces, or a car rego.

UPDATE: A friend of a friend said this car is sometimes parked in Petersham. Keep your eyes peeled in that area.

FURTHER UPDATE: My business partners will kill me if I don't plug our bike shop, Omafiets Dutch Bicycles. If the people in the photo are identified, I would love to buy them a beer, and lend them a couple of bikes from the shop for a week, so they could ride around the Inner West. I think they'd be pleasantly surprised - and might make it a regular form of transport? They could even do the City of Sydney's free cycling courses.
I'm not interested in pressing charges. I think a better outcome would be if these people were able to gain a bit of insight, and empathise with other road users. There is too much antagonism on the roads, and I don't want to contribute to that.

Views: 41253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh so you'll link to SMH from here but not the other way around :P

Police say: "If we've got cars driving around harassing cyclists, we can do something about that." 

But they generally and routinely don't.

And implying that "If we've got unregistered cars driving around, we can do nothing"??

WTF???

Instead they were on separated cycle path along College Street this morning writing tickets out to the unhelmeted. Well done police, you could have been out finding this car instead.

Surry Hills local area command

And Bourke St and Taylor Sq

Always miss them! When were they there?

I always miss them too, but was late to work this morning. It seems they don't like starting before 9am.

Thanks to Chris they seem to have to lift their game now

My reaction to the police comments was similarly incredulous. 'If we've got cars driving around harassing cyclists, we can do something about that." 

Perhaps someone should point this out to the Marrickville officer who practically laughed at me when I reported two yobs throwing stuff out of their windows at me, at very close range. I had their licence plate number, too.

Yes, they CAN do something about it...but as Neil says, they usually don't, or won't.

It seems like it is only under the glaring hot spotlight of media attention that they get moving on an issue.

It's like cockroaches on Valium...

Fiona was this event in the area covered by the Newtown local area command?

If so it would be timely to remind Inspector Metcalfe of his committment given in yesterday's SMH, and to enquire as to whether his people are now prepared to follow the matter up.

Hi,

I wondered whether I might have a small clue towards his identity.

I may be wrong, but that looks like an 'NME' t-shirt that he's wearing - it's a long-running UK music magazine, not commonly available in Australia.   Did you get a look at his shirt when he punched you!?  Did you see what else was written on it? 

I had a quick look on their website and also on eBay but there really weren't any official NME t-shirts available to buy....but there's a few of their front covers, usually featuring a single artist/band, that have been reproduced on the front of t-shirts.  There's a famous Kurt Cobain one, though I don't think that's what he's wearing.

Good luck in your witchscum-hunt, though please don't anybody stoop to their level whilst reeking their revenge!  Keep it legal and use that COPS number!

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service