I have long been a supporter of this. And I include cars owned by another person other than the person that drove it, if there are indeed different.

This morning I was reminded of the measure when I read….

A man who had been disqualified from driving until 2038 has allegedly led police on a pursuit through the city, before his Range Rover crashed into a taxi and left three people injured.

After the crash in Surry Hills early on Saturday morning, police allegedly found a substance believed to be methylamphetamine, or ice, in the four-wheel-drive.

Officers were patrolling Oxford Street, when they pulled over a Range Rover about 3am. The car stopped, but soon sped off, police said.

Officers began a pursuit, but lost sight of the car at Wentworth Avenue. Soon after, the Range Rover collided with a taxi at the intersection of Elizabeth and Foveaux streets, police said. 

The male taxi driver and his two female passengers were injured and taken to hospital.

Police said they searched the car and found the drug, as well as prescription medication.

Timothy Chidiac, the 25-year-old man allegedly driving the Range Rover, was taken to St Vincent's Hospital, before being released and interviewed by detectives.

He was charged with several offences, including aggravated dangerous driving, occasioning grievous bodily harm and drive vehicle while illicit drug present in the blood.

Mr Chidiac was refused bail and was due to appear in Parramatta bail court on Sunday.

Am I alone in this? Or do you agree? Discuss.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/disqualified-driver-charged-over-surry-hi...

Views: 1136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like Si, I don't think it's a great idea to let police keep the proceeds. But I agree that selling the car seems less wasteful - the proceeds could go into consolidated revenue, just like fines.

Or perhaps crushing has a greater impact on the driver at a psychological level than confiscation and sale? Perhaps if the proceeds of the sale went into the bike budget it might have the desired effect?

This section of Oxford St cycleway supplied by...

Actually it turns out it is quite widespread and NSW is a bit of an exception for not having it. We nearly had our own program. The Morris Iemma government proposed to introduce it but somehow the policy rather than a car was crushed.

Now we may look back and wonder if Edie Obeid got wind of the plan and had the idea killed off. There could just be a bit of hooning in that family.

mebbe a suggestion for police and roads ministers

http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/p-plater-loses-licence-after-cl...

P-plater loses licence after clocked doing 196km/hr

A 21-year-old man had his licence stripped after being caught driving 196 kilometres an hour at Cudgera Creek.
About 3.45pm Friday September 26, Traffic and Highway Patrol police were undergoing "stationary speed enforcement" on the Pacific Mwy when they saw a Holden Commodore travelling northbound at a speed "well in excess of the posted speed limit".
The vehicle was found to be travelling 196km/hr - 96 above the green P-plater's legal limit.
When police stopped the vehicle, the driver, a 21-year-old Tweed Heads man, offered no explanation for his excessive speed.

The driver was given a traffic infringement notice for exceeding the P2 speed limit by more than 45km/hr.

He was fined $2,252 and his licence was immediately suspended for six months.

I really dont want cars on the road that can do this sort of speed. I also don't want drivers who wish to do this sort of speed on our roads.

I know you can use gps for your cars current speed but why do we still have speedos that show any numbers above 140?

Why just a fine for doing above 45? Maybe "Go above 60 - YOUR CAR WILL BE CRUSHED"?

In another episode of reckless driving , I think it's related and if the Van was company owned- it  should be in the companys interest to stop it from being used recklesslessly

In addressing Silvestri directly, Ms Sparks laid the blame squarely at his feet.

"Your actions that day, your choices caused this directly," she said.

"You chose to take drugs, you chose to drive dangerously. You have directly and profoundly changed our lives forever."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mother-tells-of-pain-over-unborn-babys-de...

I cried when I read that story...

that story popped into my mind when I was reading  

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/random-drug-testing-catches-19-...

In total, police tested 413 people and discovered 48 of them had taken drugs before getting behind the wheel.
That's 11-12% drugged and driving

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/random-breath-te...

One liner : "Because drink driving is known to make a crash 30 times more likely, but cannabis only doubles the likelihood" 

and in a related article in Jan this year

POLICE will step up drug testing after it was revealed drivers are ...

too many numbers and statistics for a Tuesday

too many numbers and statistics for a Tuesday

Yep - you were a day too late! But probably within the allowable margin of error, given it's still probably the 20th somewhere in the world... ;-)

Very interesting statistics

I suppose people test positive for drugs even at low levels, it's not like the alcohol screen where alcohol present at the permitted level is considered a pass.

Still, it doesn't surprise me that drugging and driving is routine in the country.

Grow-ops & labs must be routine and common.

And you'll know that the same driver will be caught driving without a licence in 5 months time.

RSS

© 2020   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service