Cyclist killed by truck, Princes Hwy St Peters 12/11/13

From NSW Police press release:

Cyclist killed in crash - St Peters

Tuesday, 12 November 2013 10:34:03 PM

Police will prepare a report for the Coroner following a fatal motor vehicle collision in St Peters.

About 11.10am today (Tuesday 12 November 2013), a cyclist and a Kenworth Truck collided at the corner of Talbot Street and the Princes Highway.

The 40-year-old cyclist was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, however she died a short time later.

Police from Newtown Local Area Command attended, established a crime scene and with the assistance of the Metropolitan Crash Investigation Unit, commenced inquiries into the incident.

The 49-year-old male truck driver was also taken to hospital for mandatory blood and urine testing.

Inquiries into the incident are continuing.

Views: 3956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you confirm how it happened? We should be asking the authorities to make this intersection safer for other cyclists and pedestrians by installing lights.

there is no information made available until the coronial inquiry. As soon as this occurs, I will post on  here.

thanks anyone, and please stay safe. 

Thanks Shauna, we often never get to know the details, as the Coroner takes a long time and there doesnt seem to be any publicly accessible list of findings, or it is hard to search. Ideally a bike group should become a party to the coronial proceedings and get to follow up.

hey Bob

all we know is that she was on Talbot St and hit by a truck. Whether it was turning left or right into Talbot we have no info. there are skid marks there which look to me to be recent and would indicate a left turn into Talbot from prices Highway. i cannot for the life of me imagine Dianna trying to cross the princes highway against the traffic and NOT at lights. We'd discussed it many times. 

It's beyond belief and a tragedy for everyone, including the poor driver of the truck.

I will post something as soon as I know.

cheers.

That would be much appreciated.

My belief is she was using the footpath on the Princes Highway and was crossing Talbot St, not the Princes Highway. Lights to control turning trucks into and out of Talbot St and allow pedestrians and cyclists to cross Talbot St are what I was proposing. There are other entrances and exits that trucks could use, too, rather than this one.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service