From NSW Police:

A cyclist has died after being struck by a car at Church Point, in Sydney’s north. 

Emergency services were called to Mccarrs Creek Road just before 10am today (Saturday 22 November 2014) after reports a Subaru and cyclist had collided. 

The male cyclist died at the scene. His age is not yet known. 

The 17-year-old male driver was not injured but has been taken to hospital to undergo mandatory blood and urine testing. 

Officers from Northern Beaches Local Area Command have established a crime scene and are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.

They’re appealing for anyone who witnessed the crash to come forward.

A report will be prepared for the Coroner.

Views: 11980

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a noble idea, sadly it does not make anything right

thumbs up!

im very sorry 

this is like what happens in RNP Royal national park 

The young driver of the Subaru was tailgating me 10 minutes before the accident.  I expressed my disapproval by putting on my hazard lights and he responded by backing off.  At that stage he was not driving recklessly but rather in an inexperienced manner.  Earlier in the day on my way in to Church Point I had a cyclist slip streaming behind my car down a hill.  I was doing the speed limit and at some point I thought that he may try overtake me.   I probably felt more uncomfortable in the earlier instance albeit that I was impressed at the speed that the cyclist was travelling and his skill at handling his bike.  

Is it not possible that this 17 year old kid was just inexperienced rather than criminal in his driving?   He annoyed me with his tailgating but responded appropriately when reprimanded.   Really narrow bendy road,  inexperienced driver, perhaps it is statistically inevitable that the narrow margin of error just sometimes isn't enough.  

Is it not possible that this 17 year old kid was just inexperienced rather than criminal in his driving?

It seems quite likely that he was inexperienced.  Criminal?  Well he killed somebody through reckless behavior didn't he?  It seems like a crime to me.

Drunks don't mean to crash their cars either. For decades we tolerated drunks on our roads and TENS of THOUSANDS died.  Now we don't tolerate drink driving.  Why should we tolerate motorists risking other people lives?

Really narrow bendy road,  inexperienced driver, perhaps it is statistically inevitable that the narrow margin of error just sometimes isn't enough.  

Why would there be a narrow margin of error?  A narrow bendy road necessitates slower speeds and more caution.  Frequent traffic also necessitates extra caution.  It doesn't seem like this kid gave a damn.

Not that he is unique though.  There are plenty of other idiots like him.  We need to address the cause as much as punishing those whose recklessness kills.

therefore, we have to wonder how and why this person holds a licence to kill

Is it not possible that this 17 year old kid was just inexperienced rather than criminal in his driving?

It's this question that's at the heart of the problem, while people continue to think that inexperience is an excuse for this then nothing is going to change. Modern motor cars are not hard to control and I can personally vouch for the roadholding of the all wheel drive Subaru model in the collision, you have to be trying to get that out of line in a bend.

If you handled power tools or construction equipment in the same reckless manner you'd be held accountable, why not a car?

Gary, maybe best to delete this post and then phone or go the the police with this bit of driver information.

Police are appealing for help constructing the events leading up to the collision.  It would seem that displays of aggressive - perhaps abusive - or reckless behaviour will assist them to build a complete picture of the circumstances that contributed to the tragedy.  I would think that your comments would be welcome by the Accident Investigation Team Gary.

Firstly thanks for sharing/posting this.

The young driver of the Subaru was tailgating me 10 minutes before the accident.  I expressed my disapproval by putting on my hazard lights and he responded by backing off.  At that stage he was not driving recklessly but rather in an inexperienced manner.

As a frequent driver, I can relate to this, so lets analyze this like a license, insured motorist.

What were his options? he couldn't endanger you because you were in a like-sized vehicle. and if he was foolish enough to hit you, he'll get demerit points (not great on a P plate) , and will/might have to cough up fines and excess on the damages to both vehicles. If he kept tailgating you after you switched on the hazard lights, what's realistically going to happen? You had already indicated you knew he was there and were not going to speed up. The likelihood is that you drop your speed a notch, so besides recklessly over taking ; backing off was the really the only option. 

Earlier in the day on my way in to Church Point I had a cyclist slip streaming behind my car down a hill.  I was doing the speed limit and at some point I thought that he may try overtake me.  

Yes, there are riders who might choose to endanger their own life like this, but at least if they did and something happened they would not the cause of the police calling up a family to tell them that their loved one died because of a 17 year old driver decided to take a corner at a speed that had him leaving his lane and driving headlong into the victim. Mind you, this was 10 minutes after he showed that even bullies in a school playground know when to back off.

Bottomline, can I choose to text , drink, 'nudge past the speed limit' every now and then (especially when there's no Safety Camera), take corners blindly, drive into the sunglare without slowing down and generally drive like my time, convenience and thrill is paramount to me? You bet I can. 

Can I go get a Truck license and do the same? You bet I can, and most motorists wouldn't want me on the road.

Anyway, as per what David said, please do share your very close-to-the-incident experience with him tailgating (and appropriate response) to the Police.

I mentioned to the police later in the day on my drive back along MCR when I encountered the road block due to their thorough investigations of a possible crime scene. The police person I spoke to indicated that they had ample witness accounts and therefore wouldn't need mine.

The racing cyclist I encountered earlier in the day was of course taking his own risk but I don't agree that he only risks his own safety. High speed maneuvers on bicycles surely increase risk and conceque of losing control which in turn could impact on others. I say this acknowledging that if I was cycling down MCR I would also do so testing the limits of my own capacity and that of my bike. Probably why I mostly stick to Kayaking. Prefer a brush with a shark than a wreckless 17yr old driver.

I imagine that visitors to that stretch of Rd mainly enjoy the beautiful scenery and drive slowly to do so. Those who treat the road as an opportunity to push their vehicles and their driving limits are more likely to be more regular users.

I am in the process of setting up a Facebook page: Keep MCCarrs Creek Rd Safe in honor of the dead cyclist. I invite residents and cyclists and others to post any information about any incident they witness relating to poor or reckless driving. Soon enough a picture will emerge of repeat offenders. Mount Go Pros on cycle helmits, post the footage. Post number plates and descriptions of vehicles. If authorities don't do something constructive the power of Social Networking can!!!!

Good on you to stop and tell the police.

It's true an out of control speeding cyclist can impact/kill others

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-22/woman-dies-after-being-str... although the statistics indicates it's far far less likely than doing the same with a car to a guesstimated ratio of 1:80,000.

I'll keep an eye out for the FB page.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service