North Sydney by-election this Saturday -- dangerous infrastructure & illegal election advertising.

Two VMS (Variable Message Signs) introduced in recent days on Longueville Road, Lane Cove project into the green on-road bike lanes ..... cyclists riding in these lanes could well hit their heads on the display boards, hence the need for Mandatory Helmet Legislation !!! 

The two trailers are owned by Kennards Hire, whose head, Sam Kennard, is a candidate in this North Sydney by-election being held this Saturday.  Normally VMS's provide road safety messages or information about the road network.  These VMS trailers are located on a council road creating very dangerous conditions on a public roadway.  Further there is no authorization on the display as required by the electoral act. 

20151129_154036.jpg

Views: 655

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tipping them over is always tempting but I fear that only increases the safety hazard.

Would get quicker attention of authorities, though. Those-in-power would, however, just put it back where it was originally.

What about reporting to electoral commission?

Re reporting, I want to hold off replying to this at this moment ..... I can explain later.

OK, now I'm intrigued!

Lane Cove Council has been informed of the 2 VMS trailers extending half the way into the bike lanes creating a potentially very dangerous situation.  Despite Longueville Rd being a significant main road it is under the control of council.  The trailer owner is likely to be fined with removal required today.
The Australian Electoral Commission says any electoral advertising must not only be authorised but in this case be part of the VMS signage and they have taken details of the location.
The editor of the North Shore Times has been informed and intends to pursue this story.

And from the Australian Cyclists Party Facebook page about this. Wonderful!

Nice of Kennards to reply, but that is hilarious!

Safety at Kennards must be one of these "Grass roots" movements, as it would appear not be flowing down from the top.

LOL

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service