Duncan Gay may be gone, but Deputy Mayor Kerryn Phelps is still here!

Australia really does get lumbered with politicians that are a special kind of stupid. Text copied from yesterday's Daily Terrorgraph article, so you don't have to go there.

Deputy mayor Kerryn Phelps wants tests, license, rego for city cyclists despite Clover’s opposition

Heather McNab, CENtRAL
February 14, 2017 1:54pm

Deputy mayor Kerryn Phelps will champion the introduction of compulsory licences and registration for cyclists despite the opposition of her boss — Lord Mayor Clover Moore.

Details of Cr Phelps’ scheme, revealed exclusively to Central Sydney, would require all cyclists to sit a compulsory test, carry a licence and have insurance.

“People don’t know what the rules are a lot of the time because they don’t have to pass any test to get on a bike — and this means there are no consequences,” Cr Phelps said.

The NSW Government abandoned a similar plan, which had been opposed by the Lord Mayor, as recently as December 2016.

Kerryn Phelps insists cyclists need ro be more accountable. Picture: Danny Aarons
When contacted by Central this week, Cr Moore reiterated her personal steadfast opposition and the position of the council.

“Making bike riders do an exam and forcing them to carry ID risks discouraging riding,” she said.

“I want to encourage people to get on a bike, not put more red tape in their way. All Australian states have ruled out bike registration and licencing because it would reduce the number of people riding.”

Clover Moore said licences mean more “red tape”. Picture: Carly Earl
Cycling body Bicycle NSW, which is also opposed to plans that force cyclists to carry ID, has expressed concern about the falling number of cyclists in the city.

It blamed police crackdowns on cyclists and the removal or delay of bike paths as reasons for cycle numbers returning to 2014 levels.

On Monday a targeted police operation handed tickets to 95 cyclists who breached road rules — with offences including not wearing helmets, riding on footpaths and disobeying traffic controls.

Police undertaking Operation Pedro at Pyrmont to crackdown on irresponsible cycling behaviour.
“We have to find a way of everyone knowing under what rules they are operating and having some way to enforce these,” Cr Phelps said. “(At the moment) cyclists are the only road users who don’t have to pass some sort of test.”

Cr Phelps said she was yet to hear an argument against the scheme that would outweigh the benefits.

“There are civil libertarians who say ‘poor cyclists, why do they have to pay a fee like cars’ — but they are vehicles who use the road and I think that if we expect drivers of buses, trucks and cars to have registration and to carry ID and in terms of incidents of recklessness, I just don’t see the logic (of the argument),” she said.

Views: 933

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Already started writing her a letter about this. If she has yet to hear an argument about why this is a terrible idea, she soon will.

I'm sure she has heard the arguments. More worrying is that she may just not care.

I don't think we should care that much about her. Council does not decide these things.

NSW went round the buoy in 2015 & 2016 and decided 'no'. It's a done deal.

The media, in particular DT and ABC's Robbie Buck giving her oxygen is something else.

We should care and worry, having the deputy mayor say these things gives weight to the idea, reinforces the belief among tele "readers" that this is a good idea and more worrying is that Phelps has ambitions to succeed Saint Clover, she seems to think people actually voted for HER, Clover could have run with a team headed by her dogs and might have got more votes. It is also a worry that a demonstrably intelligent person can hold these views but she just joins the long list of our leaders who have wacky ideas ("clean" coal, motorways, "responsible" gambling, .............), maybe we have no hope after all, tell me I am wrong

Onya Bill!

I'll be telling Phelps that if the plethora of existing and proposed road rules made life SAFER for cyclists, I'd be willing to comply.  The trouble is, all these rules DO NOT make cycling safer.

To paraphrase John Howard - "I will decide what is safest way for me to cycle in this country, and if it means breaking the law and being fined, it's a small price to pay, compared with death".

you'd think kerryn phelps would know better than to spout uneducated crap to try and vilify a group. sounds like she's just another  promoting politician and equally as untrustworthy in the position

@RobBerry Maybe quicker to link her to the SMH cycling guru's piece on this very subject:

https://twitter.com/MichaelOReilly_/status/720741329974595584

Also: '“We have to find a way of everyone knowing under what rules they are operating and having some way to enforce these,” Cr Phelps said.'

In the 20th century, 80s & 90s from memory, there used to be a thing called Bike Ed taught in schools. But it was dropped, probably due to MHL having solved the cycling safety problem by pretty much eliminating cycling among school students.

How can someone be so wrong:

“People don’t know what the rules are a lot of the time because they don’t have to pass any test to get on a bike — and this means there are no consequences,” Cr Phelps said.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse in this country. BTW, just because I know how many drinks I can have in an hour and remain below the limit, does not mean I know what road rule 180 is.

“(At the moment) cyclists are the only road users who don’t have to pass some sort of test.”

So, pedestrians don't use the roads then?

“There are civil libertarians who say ‘poor cyclists, why do they have to pay a fee like cars’ — but they are vehicles who use the road and I think that if we expect drivers of buses, trucks and cars to have registration and to carry ID and in terms of incidents of recklessness, I just don’t see the logic (of the argument),” she said.

This is lame arse reasoning 101. Vehicles are registered because they are dangerous. Just like a gun is registered because it is dangerous. How many people are killed due the use of motor vehicles each year? How many people are killed due to the use of bicycles each year? Note, if a cyclist is killed by a motorist, that statistic should go the to car and not the bike (just to clarify for the politicians reading).

It is really becoming a war out there, and the governments have their propaganda machines on full.

What a load of hot bile air and no bite?

Ratepayers of this council should tell her to stop wasting ratepayer's money on useless drivel.

Anyone got spare Terrorgraph papers that I need to crap from my rear end.

FTA: "He added that the police issue hundreds of thousands of tickets a year for driver offences such as speeding and drink-driving."

So it seems that issuing tickets isn't solving the problems caused by motorists - perhaps some more car crushing is in order.

Being a doctor you would think she would be all to aware of the obesity problem we have in australia and how we all need more exercise, such as riding a bike.

I'm wondering if she is speaking in her official capacity as a City Of Sydney spokes-person (or maybe anti-spokes...).

I'm sure Fiona Campbell would not be too happy about her new boss. She might have to change councils.

I wouldn't mind if she came to Parramatta council. They're making some decent bike plans.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service