A colleague of mine witnessed (yet another) truck pull out of the Shell servo right across the bike path and right in to the path of (yet another) poor cyclist coming down the hill. She stopped, not quite as quickly as he did, to help and it appears he is relatively okay (got up off the deck by himself), unlike his bike, and the truck which now is doing an impression of the cyclist along one panel. Anyone know any more?

What is it going to take to fix this blackspot?

Actually, now that I think about  it, this title isn't correct. It should be "Drivers not paying attention at the Shell servo exit on the Epping Rd bike path claim another victim"

Views: 6472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I disagree as well! For me it's very hard to see through that fence very far ahead; I can only see if there's a car about to pop out when I'm almost at the driveway. I slow down enough to be sure, but it'd still be an emergency stop.

I really don't feel safe on that cycleway, the combination of downhill speeds and all the crossings where you need to look behind/in front/left/right all at once makes it very dangerous. It's OK up the hill, or down if you're happy to potter along slowly, but it's not a great commuting route.

@sean & @paul

Sorry, but you are not riding to the conditions then. You may have to slow down and extend your journey for a few seconds. 

Or, just accept that you do not ride defensively (in this location at least).

Great clip here on riding defensively: www.roadhug.org

I am generally only going about 10-15km/h at the exit

In which case you are riding defensively.

My one big problem with this statement is it suggests I should never ride faster than 10-15 km/h anywhere there is a potential conflict point with motor vehicles, so any driveway or side road (obstructed sightlines aren't that relevant as motorists run stop signs or red lights in front of other vehicles even with great visibility). Which kinda makes riding a bike anywhere pretty fcking pointless if your journey is more than a few km.

Playing devil's advocate, where do you draw the line between riding defensively in the manner you suggest and riding submissively so that motorists always have right of way, even where they legally don't?

I was actually writing about this specific location which is a well known conflict point. 

Forex (sorry, not picking on you Sean :)):

For me it's very hard to see through that fence very far ahead; I can only see if there's a car about to pop out when I'm almost at the driveway. I slow down enough to be sure, but it'd still be an emergency stop.

I would argue that someone is not riding defensively if they expect there is a chance they would have to do an emergency stop instead of just stopping.

In any case, yes, there are lot of bad cycle "facilities" - lines painted on footpaths and doorzone suicide lanes - which are only suitable for riding at 10-15km/h because of this. I avoid them as a result (unless I am happy riding at that speed). In fact a lot of them can be detrimental to cyclists as it gives bogans an excuse to act like bogans and imply that you should not be on the road by pointing at the cycle "facility". 

In summary, just because the cycle facilities are crap (or crap in places) does not mean we should change the definition of defensive riding so it is only kind-of-defensive riding.

Help I'm being picked on! :-)

I'm all for riding defensively, and haven't had a serious car incident in 12 years of commuting so generally do. But it seems rather silly to be on one of Sydney's main cycleways and have to ride so defensively that you can only travel at 10-15km/h, although I agree that would be the "safe" speed. Actually if I was introducing my kids to that route I'd be telling them to stop and check for crossing cars at quite a few points.

Happily I can also commute through Lane Cove NP, where you can go as fast or slow as you like and only have to defend yourself against the occasional water dragon or possum. It's a far safer and more enjoyable ride than the cycleway.

Wasn't the servo in question scheduled for closure after the lane cove tunnel was opened? What happened there?

I think they're trying to get it rezoned for residential, so it probably will close eventually, but lead to even more cars entering and exiting!

Who's responsible for the fence - the council or the servo?

It generally takes a death to get safety issues addressed by the RTA.  Any volunteers?

Plenty of discussion here.

I haven't read through it yet to see the outcome, I seem to remember there was something about replacing the fence.

And a RTA contact form

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service