Just curious to see what ratios folks on singlespeeds and fixies are using out there across the streets of Sydney.

I was using 42x14 (3:1) before coming here, which was fine coz London's pretty flat. I've picked up cheap SS that's 44x18 (2.4:1), but damn, if 44t isn't a killer chainring to push up >9% hills.

What's your ratio of choice around this town?

Views: 1274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do remember you doing a chain.  I heard afterwards that there was a history of snapped half links with sports riders

For road:

48:16, 700x23C, 79 gear inches

This is fine for commuting in northern Sydney and Sunday rides, and is OK up Bobbin Head, Hawkesbury River, etc.

Off road: 

36:19, 26X2.1, 50 gear inches.

OK getting up the concrete hills out of Lane Cove National Park, and fine on everything dirt. It's also low enough for easy crank position adjustments on the fly.

gawd, there are some heavy ratios getting around.

Yeah, but unless you're just toodling around city blocks you need a high enough gear so that you can make a reasonable pace on the flats, and not be stupid slow down the hills. I set my road gearing just low enough that I can still get up the steepest hill I think I'll encounter. I always end up wanting a longer gear on the flats and down hills, and wishing I had a lower one up the steeper hills.

And don't forget a fixed bike actually has three "gears"; sitting on the saddle, standing on the pedals, and walking. So with a bit of thought, a workable compromise can usually be found. I haven't yet encountered a route that I can't get around.

+1
What's a reasonable pace? 46x20 gives you 27 kph at 90 rpm, and I usually can't be bothered pedalling past that anyway.

If I felt like I was spinning too fast, for too much of the ride, then that would say to me the gearing is too low. The 48:16, 78 gear inches that I've settled on seems the right compromise to me. With this gearing I can keep pace with my old-fart buddies on their geared bikes. They'll still pull away a bit down hills, but I can generally catch up again on the flats.

46:20 would be too low for me to maintain a 25-27 kph average ride speed, which is generally what we do on a Sunday ride.

I set my road gearing just low enough that I can still get up the steepest hill I think I'll encounter.

and what chainring/sprocket gearing is the one that works for you?

I always end up wanting a longer gear on the flats and down hills, and wishing I had a lower one up the steeper hills.

Mmm hmmm. There are solutions to this problem. /justsayin.

Yes, but that would be too easy:)

I ride a lot with my 14 year old daughter. Me riding fixed means our speeds are better matched. If I want to get from A to B fast, then yes a geared bike is most definitely better.

I love riding fixed, on and off road, but i think I'd soon hate it if I didn't also ride geared bikes when conditions dictate.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service