I am thinking of buying a GPS and want to know if anyone out there has a Garmin Edge 705 or an eTrex Hcx.
The Edge 705 is specifically for bicycles and can be set up for cadence as well as heart rate.
The Edge is over $200 more than the eTrex and I am not sure what mapping features it has.

My husband is planning on buying me one for my birthday which is on Australia Day so any replies before then are appreciated.
Thanks
Catriona

Views: 540

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You do usually have to buy maps extra but there are places out there where you can get free maps.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-get-FREE-maps-for-your-Garmi...

Now "An expandable Garmin GPS (one with 'x' in its name)" answers my question perfectly.

I can put whatever map I choose in there. Perfect!

Wow. Blast from the past. I replied over 6 years ago.

I have more recently converted to a Samsung Galaxy 5 which I just use for navigation. Most likely there are cheaper ways. I download google maps from free wifi. This just means every few days I get on line without any sim card or account and zoom in on the places I expect to travel through in coming days. I zoom in more in any town I intend to stay in. The maps get stored for more than a few days and at any time with a simple tap I can get via gps my exact location on the screen. This has saved me a lot of screw-ups. I am charging it from my dynamo hub via an AXA headlight.

trouble is thatfails in the bush... google's street mapping ceasescovering even fire trails away from addresses

Prolly good enuff for road rides tho. Good tip sucking in the map while in network coverage.

The following is an updated response that I did for a mate a couple of years ago.

My current GPS is a Garmin Etrex 20 that I've had for a couple of years.  I would buy it again if a replacement is needed.  It superseded my Etrex Legend Cx.  My reasons for choosing this model were:

•  It is Garmin, and Garmin seems to be the most widely used GPS for outdoors activities.
  •  It uses 2 AA batteries and they last for 18-22 hours.  You can use rechargeables or just the normal alkaline if you choose or there are no NiMH available.  This is important for touring.  I think that all of the bike specific GPS’s have inbuilt batteries, and they only last for about 14 hours, so you need to regularly recharge (not always possible).  With this arrangement, GPS, tail lights and radio all run on AA batteries, so recharging or replacement with easily obtainable AA’s is not a major drama.  Not only that, I can swap them around if need be.   I normally carry 8-10 fully charged NiMH cells with me, and they cover my whole trip for all of these bits of equipment.  I’ve never exhausted my battery supply, even over a 4 week trip.  I don’t carry a charger with me because I’ve never needed it, and I can just pick up alkaline AA’s pretty well anywhere if need be.
  •  The number of tracks that can be used and waypoints able to be done on this model are better than the others that I looked at.  I have only 1 track per day but there is a large number of tracks able to be used.  I use lots of waypoints – mainly to indicate 10km markers, but also things like location of overnight stop, potential camp locations in the event of the weather turning to custard, start/end of gravel road, tops of longish climbs, places of interest, etc.
  •  The screen was colour, which is really important in trying to follow anything.

These GPS’s all come with a very basic map.  You can buy other maps if you wish, but, in the GPS I use a mix of Shonkymaps http://www.shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/ and Tracks-4-Australia (that you can download from here http://www.gpsoz.com.au/tracks4australia/  ).  Both are free, but I think that Shonky is the better of the 2.  They both give about the same amount of detail as the 1:250,000 topographic maps and generally are more than adequate for the type of touring that I’ve done, particularly as I can plan the finer detail before I leave home.

For overseas travel, I download for free all routable road maps that I might need for any country from here.  I use the Velomaps rather than the Openmtbmaps, but Profi might be interested more in the latter.  I've also used these for overseas travelling, and they're free too!  For finer detail in Oz, I've downloaded one of these mapsets, which I only use when i get to major towns.

I would recommend a micro SD card to store the daily tracks that you have travelled, as you will be able to keep far more info on that than what can be retained in to “toy” memory that they give you as standard in the GPS itself.  Then you can download them onto your PC when you return from the trip.

From what I’ve seen of the bike specific GPS’s, I would not buy one, mainly because of battery life.  I think that the Etrex range is far superior, and I’m not interested in heart rate monitor stuff going through my GPS.  I have a separate HRM for that.

In planning for my trip I use OziExplorer, and the most recent version can be purchased/downloaded from here. I use a mix of maps in that, but now mainly GoogleMaps or OpenCycleMaps.  They are all much more up to date that other off the shelf stuff.  I use these maps to prepare my track (route) for the trip, as well as determining the route profile.  Then I download the tracks into the GPS so that I just have to follow the breadcrumb track.  Easy as …………..

Hope that helps.

Awesome. Dabba, have you looked at the etrex30. From what I can see it has altitude and the ability to synchronise wirelessly as well as some fancy pants compass thingy that is accurate even when not level.

I am wondering it is really worth the extra $100. I love the idea of the altitude reader but not necessarily the other things, though I do have a habit of not having my compass flat when I read it.

I did look at the Etrex 30 Kim, but for me it just wasn't worth the extra.  The 20 does altitude using satellite triangulation calculations whereas the 30 uses barometric - neither of which make the hills any easier! 

I have this VDO M4 Wired bike computer that more than satisfies my curiosity on that (using barometric calculations) and many other things without the huge battery/wallet drain.  I use a polar HRM from time to time, but only as an occasional check on things, so the ability to synchronise is well beyond my needs. The 20 also has a compass that I very rarely use, generally relying on the one shown in the map display.

BTW, I got the VDO to replace another one of theirs that had died.  I was particularly after altitude, temperature, height gain, gradient and multi-bikes, as well as the usual other things.  If you have a look at their specs, you'll see how extensive their facilities are.  I'd thoroughly recommend the WIRED model.

There are more powerful Enerloop AA NiMH batteries available now (black casing) that give an extra 3+ hours of use on the GPS.  I'm buying them as the older white ones fade out.

It is looking VERY etrex 20 then :-)

baro works if you know the pressure setting, or sea level happens to be 1013mb at the time

Awesome. One final question, will it miraculously fix my lack of spacial awareness?

"will it miraculously fix my lack of spacial awareness?"

My experience with that seems to be that it is more gender related.  :-)

However, it will tell you exactly where you are lost!

Actually, it's not gender related. Women can be good map readers and men can be weak map readers. It's a skill that needs to be learnt.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service