So my trusty Polar 610i has been diagnosed with a cracked case, probably as a result of having to calibrate and condense all those massive heartbeats I've been sending its way for the past six years or so. (As was established in a blog post below, NeilA's Polar is older, but then so's his heart.)

The equivalent latest model is the RS400 which goes for $250 or so. However, recent blog posts from the Fitz Epic showing all those lovely Garmin readings, wherein you can accurately measure just how big the hill was that nearly gave you a heart attack, got me thinking of a Christmas self-present. Think how much faster one will race home to download the data!

At the moment I've got an Echowell speed and cadence monitor vying for space with a light and the Polar monitor. A combined goo-gaw would free up valuable handlebar real estate. 

So I'm looking at the Garmin 500, a steal at $299 but then I note you've got to buy a speed/cadence sensor for about $69, and then there's mention of "combined with a heart rate monitor" so it would appear I'll be in the hole for another $69 for that. Real estate is getting more expensive..

Any advice, tech nerds out there? Are there any other players in the market? And if I do buy the Garmin, is that the make that gives annoying bleeps every time one stops or sets off, and if so can I get it to not do that cos it'll drive me bonkers ...

Views: 1102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, after debuting as a professional in 1994 and going on to win a few of Super Rugby titles, the odd NRL premiership, maybe an NPC or two along with some Tri Nations and Bledisloes thrown in for good measure (okay, the latter haven't been particularly challenging in say oh... the last 8 or 9 years), representing both AU and NZ, and now having collected a RWC, he's off to pasture in Japan. And no one in NZ thinks ill of him for it.

Yes, job well done and "the thorn in the side" according to Roy and HG

So he must now take the oath to "always respect and love Kiwi pop and this is classic, this Ardijah, Dave Dobbyn, Fanclub and Supergroove along with Split Enz will live 4 ever…"

Well thank you sus, I have just bought a new frame and could not quite work out what was wrong.

Now I know and the name reflects just how I feel.

You'll feel better when you take the plastic off - should be much easier to ride. I'm still waiting for someone to use the model name "Pista Resistance"

I'm thinking about your likely accent SUS and wondering if they have a model called "Zanute".
Well, tis done. Had to go up to Tuzza today and so bought it "instore" as the ads say.
1. Supporting LBSs.
2. Didn't feel like waiting.

New toy for Mikey!

Congrats.

Now throw away the charger and use the USB port.

Oh, and some people say not to trust the calorie estimate, so go easy on the pizzas

I bought it specifically for the beer-and-pizza function. 

Good thing you got it locally then.

What's the return policy again ?

Now throw away the charger.

No, put it up on eBay for some punter who just bought one from from their not-so-local OLBS.

....and doesn't know what a USB port is.

Or can't manage to find an AUS/UK or universal adaptor.

PS in the spirit of '90s CD technology, did anyone find the "hidden track" in my original post?

:-)

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service