Someone's erected no cycling signs in the middle of the George St cycleway at Waterloo.  The signs are at either end of the Waterloo towers section where there is a shared path.  I believe the signs went up sometime over the last week and were erected by a group of residents in the towers.  At peak hour there is now a group of residents blocking cyclists using the path and gesturing to the signs.  The signs look unofficial but they are on solid metal poles and the residents were making claims to do with conflicting jurisdiction.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

I've called the City of Sydney and they said they would send someone down to investigate.

Views: 2872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK so now we know that high density living is to be introduced all over the area, not only displacing residents but also extant cycling infrastructure such as Wilson St.

I'm hoping that the development will be designed around not owning cars, and working/eating/playing near home too.

Regardless, good routes for walking and cycling in the area will be paramount. Let's watch for news, and post it here so that we can submit/respond/lobby as we think fit.

"I'm hoping that the development will be designed around not owning cars, and working/eating/playing near home too."

Well, that would be the sensible thing to do, but I bet you are disappointed. Probably no plans for outdoor play areas, new schools or hospitals or any other essential services in there either. Because that would all require intelligent planning of the kind that seems to not exist in Australia.

A gimme, but for us let's keep working on "good routes for walking and cycling".

I don't think they can get parking and roads in to make car dependency functional, so that's a gimme as well.

The planners and developers will need input & help from us, even though they might not realise it yet.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service