HI in the middle of planning to meet a mate on the hunter valley city rail link and do a short tour.

Can anyone reccomend a good tour route from a city rail station? looking for either a coastal one or one without to many hills. Ideally with a city rail station at the start and finish..

Want to do a short 2-3 day tour now with plans for a longer one in the future. Any suggestions using cityrail would be much appreciated. (tried country links bike in box service but not keen to use it again)

Views: 644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Many of these tours start from a cityrail station.

Thanks Dabba, will check it out. (was able to get the link working once I deleted the http:// of the end of it)

Bike Leichhardt Tourers have done 2 or 3 day tours from Maitland to Dungog, out via Patterson, back by Clarence Town and Morpeth, or can cut across to Raymond Terrace and Stockton.

Also Maitland to Cessnock, out via Rosebrook and Elderslie and back via Broke and Pokolbin. Avoid Pokolbin area on weekends and the Broke Rd.

Further up the Hunter there is the Muswellbrook to Denman and Sandy Hollow triangle with scenic roads and vineyards.

Tuggerah to Newcastle via Tuggerah Lake cycleway, The Entrance, Budgewoi,Swansea and the Fernleigh Track is a nice 2 day tour- stay in Swansea.

Have to agree with the Newcastle/ central coast option. I did this 75km ride a few weeks ago. Mostly off road or quiet roads, even a bit of bush bashing through Munmorah Conservation park for good measure. Heaps of restaurants/ cafes along the way and a train station at each end!

Thanks Ken Its good to get confirmation that there are quieter roads. The last tour I did was on a two lane highway during schoolie weeks.. I had one two many shots of adrenaline from overtaking p platers on what was otherwhise a really enjoyable experience.

What does the skull and cross bones stand for? Danger food?

Nothing really, Gypsies insisted that I have an icon for the lunch spot, so that's the one I chose!

Hi Ken
I tried going through the Conservation Area to Catherine Hill once on an exploratory ride but got deterred by a couple of steep hills, and wasn't sure if the road actually went all the way to Catherine Hill, so went back to the main road and up the old Pac Highway, which has a good shoulder but isn't the most pleasant road to cycle on. I'd be interested to know which way you went through that section.

There is another road called Mine Camp Rd which looks like it bypasses a bit of highway too, did you go on that ( just north of Cathereine Hill)?

Hi Bob,

I spent a long time on Google maps and Google Earth to make this track. I did go down Mine track road. I have been on it before and it was a rough ride, however this time it had been graded and was a beautiful car free dirt track down into Flowers drive and then Catherine Hill Bay.

The tracks through Munmorah was quite difficult. It involved pushing bikes through soft sand/dirt for a few kilometres and some hills we had to walk up, but it did include a sensational ride on the beach! And we did keep off the Pacific Hwy.

See attached video

Here's a link to the Gypsies map I made

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=poukfqgwqwxgtfaa

Attachments:

You really did go the road less travelled Ken!

At Tuggerah station, there's also a cycleway on the western side that passes under Wyong Rd allowing you to ride off road on its southern side.  Cross Ourimbah Ck and take the track looping under the bridge to Chittaway Rd and then James Watts Dr to get onto the Lakeside cycleway.

BTW, I use OziExplorer for planning all of my trips.  It is easy to use and can access these internet maps - Google, OSM, Open Cycle Maps, Virtual Earth - as well as others like UBD, Hema, etc.  It has saved me countless hours in route planning, profiling and research.

spoilt for choice now, might make this annual event to fit the other rides in.

Thanks Bob.

Why no hills?

It's much prettier riding via Wollombi. For trains... Hornsby/Berowra/Cowan/Brooklyn/Wherever -> Awaba/Fassifern/Wherever. I've ridden similar Audax style a few times and only ridden through the Central Coast once (that was enough for me to ride an extra 30km).

Something like this, but over 2-3 days - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6348446

Early one cool July morning on a group tour at Wollombi.  If you ask permission, you are allowed to camp behind the tavern.

Lunch stop at Broke on the same trip.  Nearby camping area.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service