Hassling other riders is bad enough. Doing so when you're in the wrong is worse. And doing so in dangerous, fast multi lane traffic is pure evil.

This morning I came across Sydney's stupidest yet most obnoxious cyclist.

If anyone thinks they know this bloke, (description below) get him to read this thread so he can reflect on his stupidity. My concern is that if he repeats this rubbish on an inexperienced cyclist at this location, there could be a serious accident or fatality.

I was riding to work along the fast multi-lane section of Oxford St adjacent to the top of Centennial Park. This is a heavily used commuter cycling corridor, despite the fact that it is a difficult piece of road for cycling.

You've got 6+ lanes of fast moving cars and buses. The limit is 60, but most of them do 70.

And cyclists continuing on Oxford st (which is the majority) have to do a challenging lane change to get across to the right when the road forks at Moore Park Road.

So I'm riding along here, at a decent pace around 45kph. I notice that someone I don't know has started drafting me. I can see his shadow.

A few hundred metres before the intersection, I sit up, start my head checks and arm signals to merge across into a clear lane.

This bloke is still drafting and he's in my lane, but offset to my right hand side. Basically just over my right shoulder. If I do my lane change, his front wheel is at risk of causing an accident. I advise him I'm changing lanes, have my arm out in the clearest possible signal, still doing the head check.

I say again, "dude ease off, I'm changing lanes here".

A rider with half a brain would ease up for 2 seconds and pass me on the left. But no, this guy stays bolted on my right shoulder.

Then I said something like "use your brain", and he hesitates for a second. I get my lane change in, and then the road starts forking.

Then, I kid you not, he whips out his waterbottle and pathetically tries to squirt me. Like a toddler with a waterpistol but in 6 lanes of traffic.

But across 2 lanes, at 30+ kph it didn't go close to hitting me.

I actually laughed for a second - I think he got it on himself. But then I thought, given this location and the traffic, - this guy could cause a fatal bike accident.
Not a laughing matter.

What's wrong with this city? Angry guys like this individual throw king hits in nightclubs etc. 

It's also like the people that throw shit at cyclists out of pick-up trucks. Brain dead, and I don't think they realise how dangerous it is. 

So, description:

Black felt  LOOK roadbike. Full black kit

Male, 30's, with a mangy Willie Nelson style beard.

I had the Fly 6 running, plus a front camera. I've only pulled off a quick still image from the front, but haven't looked at the Fly6 footage. I'll post the video in the next couple of days.

Like I said, if anyone thinks they know this bloke, get him to read this thread so he can reflect how idiotic and dangerous this is.

Update 29/7 Video

Views: 1317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spring is in the air? Bike water fights.. Do we all get an invite, next time? Temps to hit 23 degrees this week I hear and the park is right there... 

Seriously, though, See all that construction in the background.. that's a new bike lane being built! Yippee. Can I put in a genuine request the riders here start using it when built? :-)

I ride there too - but always take Carrington Dr through the park. Probably top speed 20 km /hr. Always at the back of the pack before the turn into the park, so probably not seen choosing to avoid the 6 lanes - merging from 80km on Syd Einfeld. Just a friendly reminder, women are 2-in-10 riders in Sydney, just something to consider re: 'majority' taking RH traffic lanes.  Yes, the new lane will probably slow you up a couple of minutes, especially at the lights, but I'd posit the safety payoff is worth the time cost. 

Yeah I'm aware of this new path and have been watching it going in. From what I've seen of the design, it doesn't offer any easy means to rejoin Oxford St when you reach the end.

It just dumps you near the CP gates with no obvious way to proceed. Similar scenario to the northern end of the Anzac Pde path.

Hi Herzog, reckon you're right! The non-ideal connections are probably b/c of Centennial Pk's limit of jurisdiction, though; they have the budget and organisational will so they are building what they can, right now.

Sorry for the attempted thread hijack - this discussion is more relevant to stronger riders, about safe/agreed behaviour norms based on how the roads are now, I guess.

Just if today's cyclists really do want more cyclists to join us tomorrow ... it means slower ones, new ones, those who would never change lanes at 45km/hr in peak, etc. Seemed sort of relevant as the opposite to this road-ninja's shenanigans. I hope that using new - but imperfect - infra shows how much we want more of it!  Happy riding.

Understand 100% where you're coming from. I often do your style of riding too.

Or moved over left and slowed down a bit. He then has to pass and you've got control back. 

No.

It's a challenging lane change to begin with. There's a lot going on.

You need speed (to match the traffic), strong lane positioning (right wheel track), and an early lane change.

I lose all three of these in your scenario, and probably miss the turn off altogether. We don't have eyes in the back of our heads, and when a cyclist in front is dealing with all of the above, you don't need a clueless git inserting half his front wheel into a diminishing gap next to you.

The other thing - in this situation I'm pretty focussed on what's happening on my right. I'm signalling right, I'm head-checking right.

All the visual cues to cars behind are that I'm going right.

If I then bail left as you suggest, there's every chance that a car has inserted himself into the space on my left. Dangerous scenario.

Or maybe he's just stolen the bike- the seat looks a bit high.......... 

No, this guy has got it all going on -

Black bike with black labelling <tick!>

Black carbon wheels without labelling <tick!>

Black helmet <tick!>

Black shoes <tick!>

Black sox <tick!>

Black knix <tick!>

Black jersey <tick!>

Black gloves <tick!>

Black bottle <tick!>

Max leg extension <tick!>

I know that road and do it once a week at least via Sid Einfeld Drive.  And yes, you do need to keep speed with the traffic.  There's often cyclists changing lanes there to head down Oxford St as you were trying to do. 

But if you were travelling at 30+ (probably more) and he was half-wheeling, all you needed to do was slow down 2-5 kph and he would have been past you in no time and you've lost a few metres opportunity to change, that's all.  He wouldn't have time to react and slow down with you.  Nor is it likely he would.   

As it was you probably lost a couple of hundred unsuccessfully negotiating with him when you felt you couldn't move right because he was there. 

Just suggesting an alternative approach. 

Wait until you see the video.

he shouldn't have been half wheeling you ,full stop, Skill level (bad) not matching the kit -a cycling ignoramous .And I agree if he tried this stunt with a new cyclist someone could get hurt..Common behaviour for a new cyclist is to overreact to anything ,twitch and have a slight/ or not so slight panic ,so not so sure the perpertrator ,him , would be the only one going down in such a situation

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service