For only $50 more apiece than they cost brand new from Aldi, you can buy these "ex-demo" MTBs or roadies:

The seller, "Bicycles Online Warehouse" does seem to be a legitimate business, but even if they are genuine ex-demos, to studiously mask the fact they're Aldi bikes and charge more than the brand new price, is really rather shabby.

They give their address as 394 Pittwater Road, North Manly, if anyone wants to pay them a visit... ideally on your Aldi bike with its price tag prominently displayed.

Views: 1491

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi There, 
Bicycles Online here, and we wanted to perhaps ease any concerns in regards to these bikes. 
Yes, most, but not all, of these bikes, have come back from Aldi, some are brand new and some have blemishes / scratches. We just call them ex-demo as a general term, like all our ex demo / ex show room bikes. 
They have all been manufactured by Polygon. The bikes have been built up, tuned and test ridden. They then come with the same guarantees that we have will all our Polygon bikes such as 14 day test ride, lifetime frame warranty etc 
Aldi isnt the only channel the bikes are sold into, but they certainly are the most efficient channel. We simply cant compete with their business model to be able to sell them at the same price. They are still amazing spec for the price, so whilst we cant offer the same deal as Aldi, perhaps some people will see the value in it. 
Please let us know if you'd like any more information. Whilst we have sold most of the bikes already, we are likely to run this sale next year too, so any feedback is welcomed. 
Kind Regards
Jono

Hi Jono

Couple of questions.

How far are you from the ferry wharf? I am not in Sydney and if I were to purchase one of the bikes from you, I would probably take public transport to your warehouse.

Also do you do servicing? Yeah it is a hike from where I am but it would be motivation to do some touring.

and a 155 or 153 (I think) number bus from Manly Wharf To Warringah Mall via Pittwater Road

Hi Guys,

Firstly, thank you for the support. Honestly, your remarks give more justice than we could ever do. 

Secondly, we have run out of the large frame MTB, we do still have the medium MTB. Plenty of the road bikes left. 

If you guys have any feedback, please let us know. I know it sounds like business speak, but we actually use it to improve our business. 

Kind Regards

Jono

Thanks for that response, BO, unfortunately it only confirms my worst fears.

However "still amazing spec for the price" they are, however many "people will see the value in it" doesn't detract from the fact these are "sullied" bikes, (some even "have blemishes / scratches"), most of which you acquired from Aldi after they were done with them, you then deceptively labeled them "ex-demo" and are now selling them FOR MORE THAN THE PRICE OF GENUINELY BRAND NEW. Some poor mug's gonna pay more for a used, damaged bicycle that they would've paid for it brand new and untouched from Aldi.

And I don't need any lessons about Aldi's efficiency and scales of economy; in the normal course of events, of course you can't compete with them, no one can, but this isn't routine business practice, is it? You're picking up Aldi's leftovers and selling them after they've stopped stocking them. Any retailer selling any "ex-demo" or "secondhand" or "shop soiled" or "returned" or "remaindered" product FOR MORE THAN THE PRICE OF GENUINELY BRAND NEW needs to be called out on it. Sorry guys, what you're doing is simply a slimy ripoff.

And any consumer who's researching these bikes and has Googled their way here; be advised that numbers of these very same bikes, many in as "pristine" condition as BO's, will very likely turn up for sale by individuals on platforms like Gumtree quite soon for less than the Aldi retail price. So I'd hang out for those, but be warned, some shady characters will try to pass them off as something they're not and try selling them to you FOR MORE THAN THE PRICE OF GENUINELY BRAND NEW. You wouldn't want to have anything to do with such people...

I don't have a problem with profit.

Business works this way.

Often the mark-up is 100% from wholesale to retail.

Besides, we are talking about not much coin here.

If people are willing to pay $449 then that's what they are worth.

FFS Sir Trevor! What do the punters get for their dollars from BO? The bike assembled and I would assume fitted correctly. I don't know if Jono and the crew from BO do the servicing but if they do then they get the bog standard service at 3 months - which still put them ahead than what they would have done if they had the bike built up for them at the LBS or added the money for the torque wrench and built the bike themselves.

Hi All, 

We really appreciate the support, and we value all feedback.

Indeed Trevor is correct, it is really important to be clear in how we market all our bikes and, what we offer. 

Trevor is also correct in agreeing that most (approx 70%), but not all, of these bikes are ex- Aldi. He is also correct in saying that folks could have paid a lower price for the actual bike during the sale 4 months ago. 

I would argue that we do add some value to the bikes in the building up, tuning and offering a longer warranty. Some folks see the value in it, others like Trevor, won't.

Interestingly Aldi sold out really quickly, and there were real actual scalpers on Gumtree buying from Aldi stores and then selling the bikes for a higher price. Just supply and demand I suppose.

Trevor is perhaps however, over-exaggerating his point, and this issue is hardly his 'worst fear'. Indeed, it might just work out well for all involved.  Whilst its not outright click bait, his site SEO will improve, which will mean more people will read this. This is good for BO because we agree with what is being offered, and we get to sell more bikes. Its good for the consumer because they are getting an awesome deal. 

As always if you have any feedback as to how we can improve anything, we are open to any suggestions. 

Kind Regards

Jono

"it is really important to be clear in how we market all our bikes and, what we offer."

It's also really important to be honest   --   these bikes are not "ex-demo", but you labeled them so because if you were really "clear" about their history and origin, you wouldn't get away with the inflated price you're charging.

"... correct in saying that folks could have paid a lower price for the actual bike during the sale 4 months ago."

Some were still on Aldi shelves as recently as three weeks ago. They were returns, in other words, the equivalent of your "ex-demo", and guess what? They were, as is customary with such items, sold at a discount.

"I would argue that we do add some value to the bikes in the building up, tuning and offering a longer warranty. Some folks see the value in it, others like Trevor, won't."

Oh, I see the value in it, just like I see the value in mechanics who will assemble and tune your unequivocally-brand-new-bike purchased from Aldi for less the $50 extra on top of the new price you're charging for your "ex-demos". Just as I can see the value in Aldi's 60 day "no questions asked' return policy and one year warranty on parts for these bikes.

"... there were real actual scalpers on Gumtree buying from Aldi stores and then selling the bikes for a higher price."

How are you any less "real" and "actual" than them? I trust you flagged the scalpers to Gumtree when you saw their ad?

"Whilst its not outright click bait, his site SEO will improve"

WTF are you talking about!? What site SEO? I'm not a "site", I'm an individual posting comments on a public forum. Are you implying something?

"Its good for the consumer because they are getting an awesome deal."

Not as awesome a deal as they would've got from Aldi and curiously, different degrees of deal awesomeness if they buy from you; a few will get a brand new bike, while others will get a "scratched / blemished" bike, while all will be paying the same inflated amount, but none of them will be paying the discounted price they should be paying for such items.

In any event, the only crucial issue here is that you're selling your so-called "ex-demo" bikes for more than the cost of the precise same item when it was still brand new. Not for any product, not from any retailer, not in any circumstance would an objective observer deem what you're doing to be anything other than a rort.

And the fervour and zealotry with which some of your acolytes on this thread blindly defend your shoddy practices is quite astounding.

Also worth taking into account when comparing the price with the Aldi price is support.  Unless I'm mistaken there is no support from Aldi

...and so ends the latest STORM in a TEACUP.

RSS

Community Ads

© 2017   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service