1) Daily congestion Charge for motor vehicles to enter the CBD. This would fund...

2) ...removal of tolls on the Cross City Tunnel

3) Removal of all onstreet parking, other than loading zones.

4) Contraflow bicycle lane on every oneway street in the CBD

5) Bikeshare scheme with helmet exemption within CBD boundaries

6) 30kph speed limit. Enforced. Texting crackdown. Blocking Intersections crackdown.

7) Reinstate College St Cycleway

8) Add the missing link to Liverpool St Cycleway, and continue with a protected cycle lane to Taylor Square

9) Increase annual levy on commercial car spaces.

10) Make train travel free to Opal users within the City Circle loop outside of peak hour.

11) Lengthen pedestrian Green phases and reduce wait times.

12) Provide zebra crossings midblock.

13) Bike signals should go green every phase - not based on someone sitting on ineffective sensors. Cars turning left would see a flashing orange turn arrow, requiring them to give way.

14) Remove politicians access to comcars.

15) Instead of cracking down on "jaywalking", encourage it. Make the city for People first.

You're welcome.

Views: 1093

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think both Bob and Dabba are right. I'd like to see more taxis, cheaper, and better behaved. Part of the reason is that if taxis are cheap and easy, then you're less likely to be concerned about being reliant on them. Therefore you're more likely to get rid of owning a car. If you don't own a car, you're less likely to use it.

I don't live in the city (CBD), but still rarely use a car. But taxis are so expensive, it is cheaper for me to own a car, than use a taxi.

They would solve some problems Bob, but not really the chronic ones, as those people may not be able to ride a bike at all.

From the ABS report on disabilities it seems that about 16% of the population is classified as having some type of disability. About a third of these need some mobility assistance. But most report being able to use public transport to some extent. Example given of over 65 s, 80 % can still use public transport to some extent, though not without problems or difficulty. I guess that a significant proportion of these could manage a bike or trike or e bike/ mobility scooter.
Maybe this is an argument for wider bike lanes, for the disabled.
So the actual number of people who would really need a taxi is probably quite small. Taxis are more about speed and convenience, so a bike or e bike readily available should actually win out in many cases.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/lookup/3A5561E876CDAC73CA25...

good to reason that any bike facility must be designed  to accommodate mobility scooters and trikes

Even if the numbers are small, there are people who use taxis out of necessity.  Besides the handicapped, there are perhaps times when the bus/train routes are most inconvenient for your intended journey, times when the weather is inclement, times when you have to carry bulky heavy with you, times when a taxi is a very sensible option.

When I lived in Amsterdam the taxis were treated as public transport as far as traffic priorities were concerned.  (Private cars had the lowest priority.)

Traffic planning for the future has to take account of expected technological and sociological changes.  You might have seen Elizabeth Farrally's column recently where she points out that youngsters are in no hurry to get a license these days.  Kilometres driven is falling rapidly.  And that the advent of taxi-bots is inevitable - with far reaching consequences.  How far away is that?  A decade?

totally get special needs

however  the conventional  taxi has beenmade obsolete 

internet services, share systems, hire cars, disability access buses ...

the obsolete taxi appear to be about in huge numbers.

I use taxis often for work - there is not real alternative.  I would sue train when i can but it doesn't work to meet my needs, I commune by bike into the city but a 40 min cycle to an engagement is time consuming and requires (just me so don't argue) as shower at each end.

This taxis are a very valuable service to me.

Uber can meet this need

as can hire cars, cars on demand, goget and more

my employer's policy has me use a rental car over a taxi. 

even the shortest fare is more than a day's rental

meanwhile I witnessed another taxi driver being an aggressive arse just now

This just means that for a 20 minute trip you hire a car for the whole day. And then park it somewhere requiring space to store it while you are not using it.

When you are not using a taxi, someone else can, meaning that in total fewer cars are needed in total than if everyone used a rental car.

I use taxis a lot for work. Say we are going to a meeting in Surrey Hills from an office in the CBD. It might be a 50 minute walk, 25 minutes door to door by bus/train, or 10 minute taxi. With a go get car you need to find somewhere to park in surrey hills. For these types of trip a taxi makes good seance.

Or 10 minutes by bike. A bike share scheme would be ideal for this sort of trip.

Often that's the case, while I Canberra I usual shun the vehicle in favour of self-propelled.

It is easy, I can.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service