Given this: https://twitter.com/cms2037/status/894338202907009024, I have been wondering if there is a way to influence the major political parties to adopt policies which will actually benefit, encourage and build numbers of cyclists as well as building infrastructure for us.

We are about 20 months out from the next NSW state election, if my calculations (I counted on my fingers) are correct.

Since the major parties are the only ones who will form government, how can we get either Liberal or Labor to come out with these positive policies?

What would we actually want these policies to say?

Do positive cycling policies have to come up from the grassroots via branch members or should we try to convince current higher-ups to support their introduction?

Is anyone on SC who is a member of either the Labor or, ahem, the Lieberal Party, able to offer some insight into the policymaking process?

Also, everyone should watch this film, "The Cycle of Reform": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGsM-XIuGwo

Discuss.

*Out with it: Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Labor or Lieberal Party?

Views: 567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Go talk to your local member

Good news, everybody!

The recent NSW council elections were largely a debacle for the Lieberal Party. In LANE COVE, for the 1st time in over 70 years, a Labor councillor, Andrew Zbik, has been elected, from West Ward. I hear he may hold the balance of power in a Council line-up with the other 4 Liberals and 4 Independents.

As well as being a rising star in the Labor Party, Andrew is a cyclist. He's keen on promoting active transport and public transport.

I met him during the campaign and he said he wants to talk about cycling issues in Lane Cove and what Council can do to improve conditions. I will try to set up a meeting with him. Anyone who lives in Lane Cove may be interested in having input. I'm looking in your directions, particularly, Russ Webber and John Knight! This looks like a great opportunity.

Fantastic news Neil,

I'm keen.

RSS

Community Ads

© 2017   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service