Does anyone know the actual seconds of time that cyclists get on the green?

On Sunday, I tried to time the lights. The two intersections gave 7 seconds of green, followed by 4 seconds of orange. Another one seemed to give 6 seconds.

Do these get longer during peak hour?

Views: 270

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That sounds about right, I've never timed them but often in peak hour only the first 5 to 7 riders get through on green. Generally the balance of riders go orange/red (alongside pedestrians going on red).

I look forward to the day when the biggest obstacle/challenge for riders is the  the frequent stopping making trips slow/painful - and not being cleaned up by cars.

JM

Yep, while stopping non stop, I was thinking about those cities where the cyclists get a green wave. As long as you keep a certain speed like 15 or 20km/h, and you catch a green, the rest would be green as you pass them. 

It's a miracle this street carries as much bike traffic as it does.

Still, it's 90% nicer than no path at all!

That sounds about right. When I used to ride that way you got 6 seconds of green on the cycle lane then the two phases for motor traffic took 100 seconds to complete.

That's similar to Murray St at Pyrmont Bridge and Union St etc, where motorists get far too much green. 

One way to improve things, apart from giving cyclists say 20 seconds, is to reduce the total light cycle time so if you do have to stop you don't have to wait so long. I think that's the Dutch way.

Or simply not separate bicycle light cycles from the rest of the vehicle traffic.

It puzzles me what make Sydney so special that it need this for of traffic light treatment for cyclists.  Down here in Melbourne cyclists get as much if not MORE time than the parallel traffic flow.

(Bi-directional cycle-ways are far less common but the same still applies.  No need for a special cycle.)

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service