Do you love liveable streets and people friendly cities? Sure you do, we all do, and few cities have transformed themselves as profoundly in recent years as New York City - in large part thanks to the leadership of Janette Sadik-Khan, Commissioner, NYC Dept. of Transportation.

They said it couldn't be done, but an inspired vision is turning traffic-choked NY streets into welcoming pedestrian friendly spaces. At a special one-night talk on Thursday 11 November at Sydney's Town Hall, Ms Sadik-Khan will describe how Broadway has been redesigned to include a bike lane and pedestrian plazas, and how Madison Square, Times Square and other areas have been revitalised by new public space.

Her talk will have clear parallels and insights for Sydney’s own plans to improve traffic flow, revitalise the City Centre and secure Sydney's position as a green, global, connected city.

A panel discussion will follow Ms Sadik-Khan's talk and will include:

• Ms Sadik-Khan,
  • Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore MP,
  • Hon. David Borger MP. Minister for Roads, Minister for Western Sydney,
  • Matthew Moore, Urban Affairs Editor, Sydney Morning Herald,
  • Gail Connolly, Executive Manager Transforming Sydney, City of Sydney,
  • John Choi, Architect for Choi Ropiha Fighera.

This is a blockbuster City Talk and seats will book out. The City Talk is FREE but you MUST book your seat in advance!

To make a booking call the City's Angel Place Box Office on 8256 222 or book your FREE seat online at: http://www.cityrecitalhall.com/events/id/867/CITYTALKS-2010-World-C...

Tags: City, Cycleways, Janette, Sadik-Khan, Sydney, of, talk

Views: 131

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good to see they printed Clover mentioning that the problem is the RTA.

It is nice to see truths we all know being conveyed to a wider audience.

Just as the community is getting behind cycling now, in substantial numbers, I wonder if the community mood will also challenge traffic being allowed to spoil our nice places. I hope so, could be an interesting decade.
So David Borger says that Darling Harbour is a Dud

because it doesn't have a 'natural movement corridor', whatever that is.

However he then hinted that
''But ultimately they haven't worked well because they haven't had the wonderful street systems that are part of old successful places. We need to be careful when we do decide to make changes to the urban street network that we don't have unintended consequences.''

Which I presume means they don't have a main street for cruising and parked cars up and down it.
I wonder which 'wonderful street system' he is referring to. Maybe like the scenes from American Graffiti, set in the 50s.
Comments are closed on the smh site.
natural movement corridor: probably means good sewer system.
Audio and video is online.

Link.

RSS

Community Ads

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by DamianM.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service