Miller St / Blues Pt Road shared path - Nth Sydney

Anyone notice that on the shared path they've installed obstacles to slow down cyclists? I would approve however the gap between the barriers is quite narrow leaving little room for error to pass through.

It doesnt help either when you are riding uphill and need to stop/slow to allow a pedestrian to pass by. Looks quite hazardous to me... thoughts?

Views: 1095

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Might just need to avoid using this path.

Just recently, before the barriers were installed, I started to continue along Blues Pt Rd and turn left at the lights in to Lavender St and then turn right into Alfred St Sth (when travelling south). Do the reverse when travelling north.

That's what I will be doing from now on, after reading about this shamozzle.
And this is a prime example of how vehicular cyclists (VC's) come to the idea that riding on the road is preferable. The roads, at least, adhere to certain standards. To all appearances, anybody can do anything with a foot path or cycle path.
It would be reasonable to place a barrier at the top entrance to the path to ensure that cyclists slow to walking pace, but hiding two sets of chicanes in the dark on a steep downhill slope is going to ensure that severe injury will occur to cyclists. Bike North has spoken to North Sydney Council to develop a long-term solution for this connection, but the installation of these chicanes was opposed (as Carolyn has pointed out).

This sort of knee-jerk, inappropriate action is a long-standing tradition. The North side of Gladesville Bridge is a good example. Someone was hit by a cyclist as they stepped out of their back fence onto the cycle path (on two separate occasions I believe). The result was that cyclists now have to exit the path and take a circuitous detour to avoid this person's house. Ridiculous!

While the cyclist may very well have been travelling too quickly, I believe that path design (lighting, sight lines, gradients etc) and pedestrian behaviour often plays a part in these situations.
Long term solution is to build the Harbourlink
Was behind a guy on a mountain bike tonight who simply rode out around them on the grass. He barely slowed down.

I thought my memory from last night was me overreacting but after going through it again tonight it is definitely difficult to negotiate and more dangerous for both cyclists and pedestrians.

I like TonyA's idea of a (bigger) chicane at the top to remind you to slow to walking pace but this has to go.
I have written to the council and made my displeasure known. I will be avoiding that section, as having timed the longer blues point / lavender st detour it is only a few seconds diffferent ( but is more in the way of buses and traffic ). Returning is not a problem as i go up the highway to miller.

It is also possible to turn onto pacific highway at miller st on the way in but getting across to the bikepath on blue st is a bit of a problem and sitting in the traffic at peak is only for the brave.

Either way short of getting off the bike on this section it is no longer really practical to use this as a regular commute
I've placed a "Farcility" on Veloplano here. Just click Veloplano View, the Warnings Tab and make sure that "Farcility" is selected.

Anybody can add Farcilities (any other stuff), so feel free to add them yourselves. Let me know if there are any bugs or features you want.

I've used Dan's excellent photo. Dan, let me know if you have any problem with that.

The interface on Veloplano has changed, but you can see this point if you click here.

I hope all riders will still slow right down for and give way to pedestrians especially residents of the aged care home.

That will be helpful. I don't go there very often, but have noticed that a lot of riders (heading south) must be just veering right at the first barrier and then zooming down the grass area because there is a nice single-track worn there. Council must have placed a large rock there to stop this but it is still possible.

I did see a bad incident a few months after they were installed, I was riding with a friend approaching the rails. A vision impaired man was negotiating the obstacle with a cane. He was unable to navigate through it as they were placed so close together, he was becoming very frustrated so my friend got off his bike to try and assist. He was very annoyed that the council had added the rails without installing tactiles on the approach. I guess as cyclists these type of obstacles may be an annoyance, but for vision impaired they can add minutes to a trip or even injury. I am unsure whether tactiles were ever added at the location as I try and avoid the shared path.

The original design of the barriers was overly punitive and non-compliant, it made passage difficult or impossible for people with wheelchairs, mobility scooters, other mobility aids, prams, cargo bikes, child trailers etc. And less agile riders had trouble maintaining their balance when negotiating them.

The redesign still has the desired effect of slowing bike riders coming down the slope and diverting them away from the entrance of the aged care home.

The alternative route via Pacific Hwy is not suitable for people not comfortable sharing the road with cars, trucks and buses doing 60km/h.

RSS

© 2020   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service