More people taking up cycling worldwide to avoid coronavirus

Road.cc has reported the following info

"It looks like the odd positive thing (apart from positive tests) might have come out of all this after all, with reports of cycling on the increase in cities around the globe as poeple try to avoid public transport/any sort of confined space. 

The London Cycling Campaign has published tips (link is external) for people getting back onto the bike after a long hiatus; checking bikes are roadworthy, booking a service if neccessary and investing in decent locks are some of the handy suggestions. 

In Germany the health minister has appealed for more people to cycle and walk and avoid public transport, while in New York many are cycling to avoid the subways for the first time. Jen Ewald told the New York Post: “I feel better taking the bike.

“There are fewer hands touching these handlebars than the subway poles.”

21,300 people were reported to have rode over New Yorks's four East River bridges on Monday, up 52% compared to an average day in March last year. 

Will people change their travel habits for good when all this has blown over? We've got a few quid riding on it... "

=====

I've been wondering whether this is likely to happen here. I'd be interested in any anecdotal info that suggests things might be moving in that direction. Makes sense!

Views: 377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The rules NSW is adopting are more About social Control than infection Control or public Health.

boy racers still out there ....close passes ...no warnings 

Idiots.

Smile and weave!

RSS

© 2020   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service