Hi,

I have noticed that tyre dealers are putting in nitrogen into car tyres, is there any benefit for bike tyres for the same logic (if it is logic) to be applied?

Steve

Views: 589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To quote someone else

It's not that nitrogen is "better", but rather that it's easily available in moisture-free form. Environmental temperature changes can significantly affect car tire pressure as the moisture inside evaporates (increasing pressure) or condenses (reducing it). Bike tires are typically inflated to much higher pressures, so variations in pressure due to moisture are much less significant.

I'd go Hydrogen if I was looking for a reak benefit... ;)

You already have about 78% Nitorogen in your tyres any way. The nitrogen expands less which helps maintain lower operating temp in the tyres. I would suggest that this is not a major issue for bike tyres. Even if it was it would be a bit of a pain to top up your tyres with N^2 before a ride.  Waste of time for street cars too IMO.

CO2 for bicycle tires, simply due to availability from the jersey pocket :)

No advantages to nitrogen in a tubed, or tubular, or tubeless bicycle wheel.  It won't protect a spoked rim from moisture ingestion in any case - it goes through the spoke holes and sits under the rimtape, where as the nitrogen would be in the tube, or on the other side of the rimtape in the case of a sealed rimtape tubeless design.

CO2 leaks out even faster than air - good to get you home, but won't last overnight.

Nitrogen does leak out lots more slowly - it permeates at about 1/3 to 1/4 the speed of oxygen (Are Nitrogen Molecules Really Larger...). So maybe you could get away with fewer refills - once every two days top-up might become once a week. Even a once a week nitrogen refill could be a bit on the expensive side, so maybe that's why we don't see it in made-for-bicycles dispensers.

Once every two days???!!!

My top ups last 2-3 months.  Do you use mesh tubes?

A close reading of that article suggests that filling with air will give you more N2 in the tires than in the atmosphere, due to selective permeation of the vulcanized rubber by O2. Thus, to get N2 in your tires, inflate with air and leave...

Like you, I also check and fill every few days. I inflate to 110 psi at the back and 100 at the front. They are both in the 80-90 range after 3 days. Still very rideable but more prone to pinch flats. And they seem to deflate faster in summer.

When considering whether to pump the tires up, I ask myself - when I am changing a pinch flat an hour up the road I will wish I had spent 1 minute pumping up the tires. I've ridden nearly 6000 km this year on 700x23 tires. I've had one puncture. And that was on a borrowed bike without my usual tyres (Conti 4 Seasons).

the only reason they use CO2 in puncture refills is because air (oxygen) in high concentrations of flamable and would then be considered a dangerous good which would prove to be a nightmare for shipping.

I think that your tubes would last longer with nitrogen (lack of moisture and oxygen) and tyre pressure would drop more slowly (N2 is a larger molecule than O2).

I doubt that either of these benefits would be reason enough to get a nitrogen bottle and tyre filler kit set up for home use :~)

In mining, nitrogen fill has been used for a long time as a safety precaution. The tyres can get so hot that rubber particles bouncing around in the tyres have self ignited destroying million dollar trucks. With N2, the tyres don't explode.

tyre pressure would drop more slowly (N2 is a larger molecule than O2).

I'm guessing they drop about the same in the moment after a nail embeds itself... ;-)

It's a gimmick.

Water vapour pressure, even if the air used to pump up the tyres was 100% saturated at room temperature (which it wouldn't be), would only mean a difference of about 0.6 psi if the water was fully condensed compared to fully vaporised (ie. cold vs hot tyre). In other words, negligible effect.

As Air is 78% nitrogen gas and 21% Oxygen... and these gases all follow (more or less) the gas laws, using only nitrogen gas is just a waste of money. It's right up there with 'oxygen therapy' at gyms and 'health' spas. Just a way to help fools and their money part ways...

Yes, but you must use the same mix as used in your streamlining beach ball.

I'm thinking Argon as Nitrogen seems very last week.

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service