No more mandatory AS/NZS standard for motorcycle helmets

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I stumbled across this today. In mid November, the Federal Goverment repealed the requirement for motorcycle helmets to have to meet the AS/NZS standard, thus allowing helmets complying with other international standards to be sold in Australia. Some states are lagging in their implementation of the changes (what a surprise).

http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/974854

https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2015L01845

As far as I can tell, this was done under competition law, so maybe there is hope for bicycle helmet law changes of a similar nature so that we can import helmets complying with Snell or the relevant EU standard? That way we could take advantage of the new MIPS technology, among other things.

Views: 468

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That will make Motorcycle helmets a bit cheaper

Great development and precedent.

All the garbage about AS/NZ* standard being safer really makes me want to throw up when international pros can use other standards at 80kmh down the corkscrew .

My thoughts exactly, Peter. Although I'm sure someone with a hefty vested interest (from the helmet testing agencies, for example) will come up with some obscure argument about how much "safer" the AS/NZS standard for bicycle helmets is and they couldn't possibly support a change to the law because "everyone will be killed". Or some such equally stupid bollocks.

worth watching what happens, yes such bollocks is likely.

was wondering if a printer could be engaged to make compliance decals, which could be sold for $1 apiece.

the profit goes in the fund for fighting helmet fines ... et voila!

Correction , 105km/h where any* international helmet standard will do.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/tourdownunder/tour-down-under-2...

*Cycling Australia exempts AS/NZS requirements for international competitions on Australian roads, as well as apparently in the velodromes

The exemption for road racing applies only during the actual race, as they are on closed roads. These international competitors are not exempt from the need for an AS/NZS compliant helmet while training, or riding to the race from their hotel, etc. Although everyone turns a blind eye because, internationally, the MHL makes us look like big enough cycling douchebags anyway.

A velodrome is not a road related area, so Cycling Australia are free to do whatever they want in there.

Yes, except, as far as I'm aware none of the helmet standards involve a car or drop bears

So it's fine for pros worldwide to do 105km/h using any helmet standard including where gravity is stronger (ie Australia) but not for the causal sucker Australian cyclist who has to pay more for a smaller range of (heavier) helmets that have no statistical / real world advantage.

Indeed. But you're trying to use logic and common sense.

Surely you've learnt by now that MHL proponents will simply drag you down to their illogical, stupid, ignorant level and then beat you with experience.

here here!

I would support that - Australian standards are pointless. The POC helmets sold in Australia are heavier and the compression foam harder to comply with Australian standards - all factors that defeat the original purpose they were designed for!

I dont think that the helmets sold here are actually any different to those overseas other than they have a small expensive sticker installed. I believe that the differences in testing are subtle however they are different enough that the overseas tests cant be used to demonstrate compliance with the Australian standards.  It requires an Australian accredited testing authority and hence is only done on helmets that an imported wants to import in large quantities, the smaller, lighter more expensive models are not likely to be tested to the Australian standards because the market isnt there to justify the effort.

I believe the key issue is that AS/NZS 2063 requires the impact testing to be carried out before the retention system strength test on the same helmets, which effectively increases the severity of the retention system test as more deformation of the restraint system is likely to occur. So helmets sometimes have to have the design of the restraint system altered in order to meet AS/NZS 2063, even though the existing design complies with Snell or EU standards. The name might be the same, but the detail of the design often isn't.

RSS

© 2020   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service