Feeling faintly guilty for not riding to Wollongong, I rode out to Parramatta and back on Sunday morning. Round the park - all of that. At a leisurely pace in gentle sunshine. Thought about having coffee, but didn't stop.

What surprised me, given that 10,000 of Sydney's finest cyclists were heading south, was how many others there were  on the road elsewhere that day. I don't want to knock the Gong ride, which I've done four times (only once to Wollongong; the other three when it ended rather disappointingly in Sutherland).

But I wonder if anyone else had worthwhile non-Gong experiences on Gong ride day?

(Hidden agenda: I think mass rides to publicise cycling may be passé. And I think that might be a sign of cycling's growing popularity, not the opposite, and so very welcome.)

Views: 678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

:-) Just ask yourself before you write, 'if I put 'it is' here instead, would it make sense?'. On that score, 'its raining outside' is obviously wrong (not least 'cos it isn't!) and so is 'the dog chased it's tail'. Or the cocky put socks on... well, whatever.

Easy!!

" 'gong"?
Not only are there cockatoos in Dubbo, but that's where the "fat bus" comes from.  It seems to be bringing an ever increasing number of Dubbo-ites out into the big wide world!

I guess a fair number of the 10,000 on the Gong ride wouldn't otherwise be out cycling on any given Sunday. Thus, it is not as if 10,000 of the normal crowd are missing from Parramatta park and other popular venues.

Over the years, entering the Gong ride has become more bothersome and I reckon a lot of the regular Sunday riders find it easier to stick with their usual bunch of friends doing their usual ride.  I know a lot of people I speak to have a 'been there, done that' attitude to the Gong ride and have a whole string of reasons why they wouldn't do it again.

I can't agree with your theory about mass participation rides going out of fashion.  The well-known existing ones are getting good numbers, and new ones are popping up too.  But yeah, there are a lot more cyclists around, and they have hugely diverse ways of enjoying themselves.

Round here in the inner west it did feel a bit like everyone else had been invited to a really cool NYE party. Still had a good ride up to church point. It's always good to head north and mix it amongst those lean wirey north shore types ( and there were plenty of em out). They're built much slimmer than us sleek flat landers down here.
Sam Spokes?! Gold!
Are they related to Ian A'choub, Hannah Barr, Chain Austen, Tyrone Rim, and the doppleganger of cricket fast bowler Pedal Saddle?

I bought a custom-made suit off his brother once: B. Spoke.

No, it'll Roland Roland Roland roll on forever.

Don't you mean wheely tyred?

Settle, pedal. This is more than I am capable of bearing.Time to clamp down on the axle hub of where this stems from and chain tracks.

I'm done, retiring hurt.

What a waste.
If only his parents had thought more about his name he could have been a pro bike sponsorship golden nugget.

Sapim for instance is not too bad.

RSS

Community Ads

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by DamianM.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service