Headline from the local (internet) rag:

TWO men were killed in a collision in Victoria late last night when a vehicle failed to notice a red light and drove through it.

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/two-men-killed-in-car-cras...

This actually annoyed me enough to contact them about it.

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I want to see the funny side of this - but nothing funny about 1,250 people being killed annually plus the many many more who are maimed.

Is it really a legal technicality where they can't presume that the driver failed to notice the red light until that is established by NSW Police and/or courts? Would it prejudice any future case/hearing?

It really annoys me. Language is important. There has to be a better way to phrase it whilst still being relatively impartial...

JM

Let us assume that they're legally not allowed to say that "the driver failed to notice the red light" (hey, they may have noticed the red light and decided to just drive through it. But what they could say is that "the driver failed to stop at the red light" for this is exactly what had happened, placed responsibility onto the driver, and does not imply a reason as to why they didn't stop.

So the heading could be:

TWO men were killed in a collision in Victoria late last night when a driver of one of the cars failed to stop at a red light.

Factual and assigns responsibility. Simple.

They're just getting their language ready for driver-less cars.

Probably more likely the reporter just used stupid language. If it was a cyclist I imagine there would be no qualms about saying the cyclist failed to notice, or ignored, or "went through" the red light.

is there a defence against not stopping at a red light? 

Sorry mate I didn't see it

is there a defence against not stopping at a red light? 

Certainly there are some situations which warrant it and you wouldn't be prosecuted for.

I had to look it up, and it is a strict liability offence, so no excuses such as "didn't see it". You'd have to prove it was totally beyond your control not to stop.

Catering to their audience

(dead) men don't read News.com.au , alive drivers in their innocently careless cars do.

I once saw a sticker on a tradie's ute that said it well  -

"Is it the truth or did you read it in the Telegraph?"

Yep, they might have bought it from Annoyus.com.

RSS

Community Ads

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service