Articles/discussions for Olympics Games 2012

Mens Road Race , Sat 28/06: 250km

White: Australia to ride aggressive Olympic road race

Making Olympic history the Stuart O’Grady way

note: "Without communication it's going to require a lot of quick, smart thinking on the bike." 

- no radio / team orders? 

Also : http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/olympic-mens-road-race-start-list

So it's not like a pro team event where there are each teams of the same size.

I wonder what's the chances of countries with 1 participant ? NZ for example has 2.

Views: 2433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Meares lost the first sprint by the width if a tubular but is 1-0 up due to Pendleton being relegated for coming off the sprint lane. 

Come on switch out the basketball for goodness sake!

Track stand in the second sprint.... Pendleton doesn't want to play and Meares gets to draft her and comes in  for a clear win! AWESOME! 

- Pendleton came up quickly to congratulate Meares - it will be very interesting to see their life story post-racing.

Sir Chris Hoy makes history with a win in the Keiren, and will apparently retire as Britans most successful Olympian (Wiggo will have to wait till 2016 to try to break/reclaim that)

Apparently New Zealand's van Velthooven and Dutch Mulder are tied for third and will both get medals too. Nice!

zzzz after the presentations.... maybe...

At least we are beating New Zealand. Now.

Thanks, Anna. (And Sally).

Our women are doing well, aren't they?

Yes, I can't believe no self-respecting Aussie plotted to throw in a sickie to watch these historic events

On ABC this morning they showed the interviews outside the vela-drone and the two prominent radio stations mic's were 2GB and 2UE, which I think is hypocrisy since they encourage so much hate towards cyclists - I had a fleeting dream that Queen Anna would spin off and say how great Sydney's bike lanes were (no idea where she is from or if she agrees with them etc but I'm allowed to dream aren't I).

Well to be fair, track cycling / cycling in a velodrome has little to nothing to do with being a 'cyclist' in the everyday / traffic / utility / commuting scenario. 

I could respond with, I wrote "no idea where she is from or if she agrees with them etc but I'm allowed to dream aren't I". Or ask where track cyclists start from, I assume they aren't born knowing how to ride and start off cycling to school like my daughter (who mentioned on Monday that she would like to compete at cycling at the Olympics after her ride home school and seeing it on TV). And we know the cycleways have encourage more kids to ride to school, so that's more kids who "can" ride, are fit enough to and could be interested in track cycling. So, no, everyday cycling has everything to do with track cycling because without the first we wouldn't have the later but maybe not for a "current" track cyclists who "might" have a narrow view of the world "but I'm allowed to dream aren't I" that they don't have a narrow view.

Your dream sounds all great.

I was merely referring to your assertion "On ABC this morning they showed the interviews outside the vela-drone and the two prominent radio stations mic's were 2GB and 2UE, which I think is hypocrisy since they encourage so much hate towards cyclists " 

Does this work better for you? "which I think is hypocrisy since they encourage so much hate towards" everyday "cyclists", which is where all track cyclists start from.

For me? Oh no, I'm perfectly fine.

I've been to velodromes and seen the percentage of athletes there who ride to the velodrome to do their sport, as their equipment is not street legal. 

Even the road bike athletes, some have been cited for drink driving , another for believing that if a cyclist gets run over without a helmet on they 'don't have anything to say' really doesn't strike me as the "everyday" cyclists who have to deal with people seething with hatred and in control of deadly weapons. Hence, much less so track cyclists.

Essentially I don't think there is any hypocrisy on the part of 2GB /2UE for trying to get a soundbite from what is proving to be a rare Gold Australian performance in this Olympics. You are, of course, entitled to your view.

Isn't anna in the current pro mining advertising campaign trying to convince us that these uber large companies already do enough for the community that they shouldn't pay more tax??

Yep - apparently its because of the miners that she's a great cyclist. The miner's employed her parents who supported her. 60 seconds of ad explained in two sentences.

And for the record, she's from Queensland.

RSS

© 2020   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service