I talked to someone at RMS yesterday who responded to my query via their website about the obstruction near the north pylon of the SHB bike path.

He provided this link and explained that the current scaffolding would move slowly northwards and the painting will take 3 years to complete. I suggested that this will become increasingly a problem as the weather warms up and more cyclists use the bridge. He said that RMS will erect signs at either end of the bridge explaining to people what was going on and how long the work is planned to take.

I also asked if this was a proverbial "painting the Sydney Harbour Bridge" situation and once they had finished they'd start again from the other end. He replied that the paint should last 30 years before it needs to be renewed. He said that painting of the southern end was completed 10 years ago.

I cannot image that the NSW government would close such a busy traffic lane on a road for this long so why do they think it is acceptable to close part of a lane on the state's busiest cycleway for 3 years?

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like one lane on the main deck is needed as an alternative route for the exclusive use of cyclists

why do they think it is acceptable to close part of a lane on the state's busiest cycleway for 3 years?

The government thought nothing of substantially narrowing and downgrading the facility some years ago to provide maintenance access along the railway line.

What makes you think they (a) thought about it or (b) give a f*** about it?

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service