I work at Australian Technology Park for large chunks of the year. They have parking. Some is $160 per month with $20 per day casual and some more expensive at $30 per day casual. The high casual rates are prob due to it being so close to the railway - to prevent a lot of commuter parking. Most people commuting and working at ATP don't want to pay for parking and so they park in the streets surrounding the complex.

So recently City of Sydney have started resident driven (I understand) parking changes in the area to remove, in stages, practically ALL free parking  and creating 2 hour parking. 

The discussions at work have been entertaining from the car drivers. All sorts of anti resident and feel sorry stuff from "well if you buy  a house in this area this is what you have to expect" .. "that's life in the big city - why can't (the residents) accept that". And I'm telling them "that's life in the big city - go buy a bike". They're discussing options. A lot are biting the bullet and not only paying for petrol, but also the parking (suckers). Some want to ride, but want to wait until the weather improves. Some will take public transport I expect. Some will fight over the remaining parking and risk parking fines. 

At work there's undercover parking for bicycles. There's even a shower (in the ladies at least). No cycle paths but lots of cyclists about. 

I wrote an entertaining (for me anyway) email to Barry O'Farrell saying that since City of Sydney has removed all the parking in the area, can you please get onto your mate Clover Moore and get us some cycling infrastructure. No reply yet :D

Anyway it's interesting to watch as this little car crisis develops. 

Views: 1148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Again with the red light issue! It's been done to death, but I feel I should at least present the other side:

General:
Red lights are a safety mechanism designed around the peculiar characteristics of motorised traffic, and do not fit the peculiar characteristics of bicycle traffic.

Personal:
I always stop at red lights, but I don't always stay stopped. Sometimes it's obvious that it's safe to go, and so I do. I don't do that when I'm driving because it's never obviously safe to do so when I'm driving.

Proposal:
The whole issue could be resolved with an easy fix - change the law to make red lights the equivalent of STOP signs for cyclists.

I would prefer the bike version of the philosophical question

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

that is

"If a rider runs a red light and no one is around to see it, did the rider really run a red light?"

From a legal point of view, red means stop and green means go...

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service