Simple - just let us see a photo of the folding bicycle that you ride.

Views: 6467

Replies to This Discussion

This is Dot, my folding bike.

My father bought me this bike because each time I come back to Hong Kong, I can't wait to go back to Sydney, and it's just so obvious what I miss the most.

I love it, but it's the best proof that I do actually prefer living in Sydney. I don't care if I grew up here. It's not my home any more. (This is why the bike is named Dot. It's a diminutive of "Dorothy", because there's no place like home.)

The "see you next year" photo from January 2009. I don't even get this sentimental saying goodbye to people. It will be time to say goodbye again in the morning.

This time, I had a summer job here, so I actually get to commute on Dot.

Dot and I, outside my Hong Kong home, just before I head off to work. (Working at the corporate office that day.)

Yes, it's the same dashboard I normally have on Crescent. The handlebar on Dot is shorter, and the air horn doesn't fit so well.

Later on, I started working at the power plant. I became well-known for riding part of the way to work. xD (Couldn't ride all the way. Glad I have a folding bike that I can take on public transport.)

Standard questions I was asked include "how much is that bike" when people see Dot and "is that a camera" when I'm holding the dashboard. The award for asking most ridiculous question goes to the person who asked "are you worried that someone will chop down the tree" after seeing where I locked my bike when I was at work. (Exactly what I didn't need. Paranoia fuel. I was worried enough the way I was.)

There must be a kind of tree paranoia lurking in the back of cyclists minds, on the few occasions I've locked my bike to a post-sized tree have almost always walked away thinking like that!  Maybe I'm ridiculous too....sigh.

I think the person asking the question was intentionally making fun of me, especially since I used two locks (a U-lock and the lock I normally use in Sydney) so the idea was that it might actually take less time to cut the tree than to cut both locks.

The locks didn't stop me from worrying, but they kept Dot safe and I rode away into the sunset after my last day at work.

(More like, Dot was safe because only the other people who worked at the power plant knew about it, and when I was at work, they were too.)

Nice bike Kerry. Love the matching gumboots. What sort of bike is Dot?

Dahon Jetstream P8 (2008).

After buying Dot for me, my dad got one for himself when we got back to Sydney because it's just that cool. I'm really glad he learnt how to ride. (Next step is to get him to ride on the road so that we can stop driving to Chatswood. xD)

Nice! How is your brompton going after a few years of riding?

HI Adrian,

Sorry for the very late reply but I dont follow this site often. I thought that I had it good riding since 2008 but so far 2011 has not been a good year and I am not sure if it starts to wear out due to my extensive riding in hilly Sydney. My chain broke, I had to replace the cogs, had a collision with another bike, a slashed tyre from a can, a puncture from a nail. HOWERVER, I dont regret the buy and will replace it with a new Brompton when the day call for one.

Boaz

Bickerton Portable I bought at a garage sale. Use it once a year when I take the car in for a service, to ride home on. It has a 3 spd SA which is too high around here, and the front ring is huge. Any ideas on where to get some alternatives? The U shaped handlebars can rotate backwards, rather disconcerting. There is a stop to prevent them rotating forward.

How many teeth are on the rear sprocket on the Sturmey-Archer hub? I reckon it is probably 13 or 14 teeth only. You can replace it with a larger 16-tooth sprocket (common item found on most Kid's coaster-braked BMXs) which will reduce the gearing to a more comfortable spread.

The Raleigh Twenty was supplied with a 15-tooth sprocket as standard, although many people switch it out to a 16 or 18-tooth sprocket for a better spread of gears.

Probably not much you can do about the front chainwheel without replacing the whole crankset, but SA make up to 24T for the rear and you could go larger using a Shimano cassette sprocket with the extra centre lugs filed away (Sheldon describes all this, its quite simple). You'll need to lengthen the chain to suit. Seems almost every hub geared bike has this problem of over gearing, which is great pity as I suspect it has made hub gears a lot less popular than they should be.

Here's my Brompton.  A standard 2010 M6L model, with upgraded Brooks B17 Special saddle, Brooks grips and Shimano R770 brake leavers to replace the standard plastic ones which seemed unnecessarily cheap and tacky in my opinion. 

Oh, and a Zefal Cyclop bar end mirror.  I've used one of these for years on one of my other road bikes and wouldn't be without one now.  Turns out to be a good fit with the Brompton fold.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service