Hi 

One of the myths about prostate cancer causage as a male, is that you ride a bicycle.  There are some schools of thought that think the rubbing between the bicycle seat and posterior is causitive as the prostate is located not far from your posterior.

Sepember is Prostate Cancer month.  3000 men die from Prostate cancer in Australia every year.  It is young man's disease as well as an old man's disease.  Please undertake to do a PSA test every year once you turn 40. This is just a simple blood test done at the same time as cholesterol.  If this raises red flags either first time or as trend over many years( and yes it is not 100% accurate) further tests can be done to figure out if there are issues or not.  Lots of treatment regimes exist.  Get the cancer early and it will likely save your life.  Don't; it may well kill you, or at the very least long term medical intervention that makes your life difficult.

Common risk factors are

• as you get older – prostate cancer is mainly diagnosed in men aged 60 – 79
  • if your father or brother has had prostate cancer – your risk is twice that of other men
  • if you have a strong family history of breast or ovarian cancer, particularly BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations.
  • You are African or of African descent.

While prostate cancer is rare in men under 50, men aged 45–55 are at particular risk of developing significant prostate cancer later in life if their prostate specific antigen (PSA) test results are above the 95th percentile. This means that PSA levels are higher than 95% of men in the same age range.

You may have an inherited gene that increases your risk of prostate cancer if you have:

• multiple relatives on the same side of the family (either your mother’s or father’s side) with prostate, breast and/or ovarian cancers
  • a male relative under the age of 50 with prostate cancer.

If you are concerned about your family history, call Cancer Council 13 11 20 or talk to your GP about the suitability of PSA testing for you and your family. 

Key point get the PSA test every year once you turn 40 or earlier if high risk factors exist.

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think Frank Zappa was a cyclist so maybe we should canvass the music industry pages..

Find out but do nothing, unless it's a really aggressive case, isn't that what they are saying now? More likely to die of other causes, and side effects of ops can be serious.

I was seeing my GP only last week in a "I'm 43, what do I need to be checking for now?" kind of way, and with no history of prostate cancer on my side of the family and no urinary issues of any kind, he didn't think it necessary to do a PSA test at this stage.

My wife, on the other hand, thinks I should be getting one every six months because her father had treatment for prostate cancer last year. Perception, perception, perception!

Adam,  I'm 56 and had none of the identified risk factors.  The only thing that raised suspicions was a slightly elevated PSA and that I have done the PSA test for about the last 10 years.  I'm not sure about the every six months for you.  Apparently the GP guidelines are to test PSA every year post 40.  The Digital Rectal Examination is no longer a part of that regime for the GP.    It sounds like your father in law may be on active surveillance regime.

Bob  Generally speaking the younger you are getting the diagnosis, the worse it is.  Once they have suspicions and get to the biopsy stage, the Drs will determine the agresivness of the cancer.  If it is measured around a 6 on the Gleason scale, you may be a candidate for active surveillance (let sleeping dogs lie) and keep an eye on it.  bove that tops out at 10, they will want to do something.

Side effects could be Incontinence, Temp or permanent, Erectile Dysfunction, bowel problems, mood swings.  This all depends on the treatment you opt for.  Yes every man is given options.  None good, but they prolong life.

Yep, Prostate Cancer is a nasty cancer but try this. 12 months ago I had a brain tumour, I had 15 hour surgery to remove a tumour that was crushing my brain stem. I still can't ride on the road because my brain is still healing. Brain Cancer kills more men than prostate cancer does, even though it's less prevalent. Why? It's because money has been spent on prostate cancer research and not on brain cancer research. The five year survival rate for Prostate Cancer is now 95%. The five year survival rate for brain cancer is about 20%, and about 5% for the worst type of brain tumour, a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM). Don't donate to prostate cancer research, donate to brain cancer research, or perhaps pancreatic cancer research, both considered rare cancers but much more destructive. Brain Cancer kills more children in Australia than ANY other disease. As usual, our perceptions are out of sync with reality. I know all about this, I have visited just about every cancer centre in Sydney in the past 12 months, I have done more research into this than is healthy. Brain cancer leaves prostate cancer in the shade. You're no more likely to get prostate cancer from riding a bike than you are brain cancer from talking on your mobile phone.

Different things, because a male is quite likely to get prostate cancer but also likely to die with it not of it.

Some tho are very aggressive and one killed my father-in-law in just a few months.

Mostly tho, as Bob writes, let sleeping dogs lie.

There's probably scope for discussion of cycling and reproductive health as well. Male and female.

For me, there's an amount of cycling that is beneficial, and an amount that is harmful.

10 minutes sitting,then "out ofthe saddle everyone!" Restore the blood flow, decompress the nerves, if that is actually possible.

Well a frequent happy time with wifey is also beneficial :-)

Best wishes for a good recovery Cogs.

Likewise.

Thank you gentlemen thank you. I appreciate your kind good wishes. Shortly before my diagnosis last year I purchased a Wahoo Kickr stationary bike setup because I had severe vertigo. I couldn't safely ride my bike.Since surgery, I've kept using the stationary bike, my balance is still an issue but for different reasons, the trauma of surgery to remove the tumour has left me with a brain, whilst I'm still sharp in my thinking, still in recovery mode, the neuro pathways from the brain still haven't healed properly. I do miss getting out on the road but it's given me a greater appreciation of the variety of cyclists we have out there and the joy it gives us, no matter whether we're driving a peleton, commuting to work, or tootling to the shops for supplies with a basket on the front.

I've read with interest the commentary on cycling issues various, some of it rather depressing, sadly, mainly around the apparent decrease in cycling numbers, causes of which have been well canvassed. But I am encouraged by the fact that the hard core amongst us continue on. Even though it may take longer than we want or expect, we will win this battle, the battle to be recognised and accepted.

I am encouraged by the fact that this forum here offers the support we need. I'm now working in the brain tumour support area but yes, any type of cancer is debilitating. A positive for us cyclists is that we are doing something overwhelmingly healthy, we know our bodies pretty well, we are our own advocates, we celebrate little victories, and we focus on all the things we can do, not what we can't do. What a good place that is to be. Hope to see you out on the road sometime soon.

RSS

Community Ads

© 2017   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service