Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Table 1 shows 0.7% of passes are less than 60cm. Small percentage  I guess & corresponds to my experience, you get a scare about one in a hundred or so passes, not that I count. Also of note is the number of drivers who give ridiculous  clearances, no need to go overboard, rather you slowed down and passed in a smooth manner.

That would be one each way per day on my commute Bob. That's two more than are acceptable

Are there locations or streets or types of road marking etc on your commute where close passes are most likely, that might be fixable? Or is it pretty random, indicating careless driving?

so many questions left unanswered by this research(which they acknowledged on Twitter) such as were any of the very close passes ( less than 60cm) deliberate? Or what was the underlying attitude to cyclists by the drivers and would that be correlated to passing distance? The research has about 8 authors, showing how complicated it could get if you really went into it.

It's largely predictable, but I would count it as careless driving

Morning: Left lane here is the "fast lane". 80km/h zone only advisory apparently

Afternoon: repeatedly get squeezed at the ute. And yes there is a shared path there, however people pulling out of the businesses very often don't stop and check until they are in the road.

Afternoon: MGIF. I take the lane here early as people often come around the corner on the other side of the road. Close passes galore around a blind corner.

Nearly always deliberate decisions, so not really sure you could count them as careless. As a rule of thumb drivers here are careless in the morning and aggressive in the afternoon, and that's just with other drivers :(

Very interesting; from my own experience it is true that if there is a 'bicycle lane', however inadequate, drivers do not move over to pass you. If 'their' lane is clear, they will barrel through. Drivers are notoriously myopic when driving; they only look at what is directly in the path of their vehicle. If there is a line of paint between you and them, they will drive like you are not there.

As an aside, it could also be that the NSW 1m passing rule does not apply if you are in a bicycle lane or on the road shoulder.

The rule states:

The driver of a motor vehicle driving past to the right of a bicycle that is travelling on a road in the same direction as the motor vehicle must pass the bicycle at a safe distance from the bicycle. (my emphasis)

Rule 12.2(b) specifically states the shoulder of the road is not a road, so the passing rule does not apply as the bicycle is not travelling on a road. (But is also says 'unless the contrary intention appears', whatever that means.)

Rule 13.1(c) states that cycle facilities are also not roads, but road related areas (with the same caveat about contrary intention).

As is so often the case, the Road Rules are unclear and contradictory (seriously, who writes these things; it's not that hard FFS), but it is by no means clear cut that the 1m passing rule applies if there is a solid line of paint between the cyclist and the car.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service