Cycling in Sydney Australia
I don't think ever increasing funding will improve congestion. Improving the roads will increase demand (for private motoring). The alternatives to private motoring must be improved even more, using funds that the NRMA apparently would see being increasingly spent on roads.
"....... help the NRMA take a stand against "tragically underfunded, unsafe and congested roads" in NSW, ......"
That second Iron Cove Bridge was a great investment. Look, no more congestion through Drummoyne!
And the M5 plus Canterbury Rd are more congested than Canterbury Rd used to be before the M5 was built. No toll on the M5 of course. Must win those seats down there!
(1) would mean more urban sprawl, in areas without existing PT. Better to go high density. Taking 2047 as an example close to home, McMansions like John Sidoti's could be turned into units. NSW won't get Holsworthy, it is CoA/Defence's. Also contaminated with ordnance and waste from depleted uranium rounds.
(2) already happened didn't it?
(3) I expect there's an app for that. Car pooling at least is legal.
Private property can be resumed. That is done to build roads for example.
Alternatively you can price to change behaviour, for instance by charging rates as if it were 6 or 8 units.
The classic libertarian vs. utilitarian dilemma.
I did their survey, citing Great Western at Leichhardt as a problem.
I ticked the 'other' box then explained that since there is no cycle lane as fast as using the road I'm using a lane on Parra Rd.
Additionally I wrote that I'm taking the whole lane due to unsafe overtaking habits by drivers.
This was achieved by extending school holidays and encourageing people to car pool & use Public Transport.
I think that what really happened was that the NSW State Govt scared so many people about the impending traffic nightmare that anyone who had holidays owing to them all took off interstate or overseas on cheap "return flights".
I had to continue working during the Olympics, and my commute to the city and back on the bus was a dream run every day for 2 weeks. I'd say there was an 80% reduction in vehicle traffic. Of the remaining 20%, 19% of it was buses going to Olympic venues, followed by Holden Commodores with "SYD", "OLY" and "MIL" plates.
Ditto re: Oly Games traffic. As a SOV pilot (Sales Rep) it was the one period in 10 years of repping that 20 minutes to anywhere in sydney was actually possible.
It wasn't just cars either...I was learning aerobatics back then, flying out of Bankstown, and they implemented some pretty crazy rules around use of Airport Tarmac due to the expected influx of private jets etc. Likewise with the classification of "Restricted Airspace" around all the venues.
I did some flying during the lead-up to the games, during the "lockdown", and the airport was like a ghost town. Fleets of jets did not arrive, and flying training for the two week period was judged as "too difficult" by most people (due to the extra rules around getting transponder codes etc).
Hehe - I did the same for another local road, pointing out the lack of a road shoulder or cycle lane, forcing cyclists to hold up tax paying nrma members :-)
I have noticed a high level of car advertisements on TV lately. They emphasise that cars morph into wild animals, deliver freedom, and overpower nature.
But these things are all distractions from the truth. Cars are too big and we have run out ofr places to put them. They do not work well as commuting strategies on major routes when most people need to travel. They are bad for personal health. They endanger pedestrians and cyclists and so discourage others from adopting solutions.
But the big one is that they cost a lot, and, of this, much is borne by the public purse. Even through Medicare benefits paid to unhealthy car drivers.
Is it time for non-car-driving cyclists to complain more loudly about this cross subsidy?
Why make more roads to let unhealthy obese drivers and SODs clogs everywhere and intimidate riders for?
See comment#149 on hoons lose vehicles.