Super Car Runs Bicycle Rider Down from Behind - Akuna Bay - May 2018

Hi All

I just wanted to alert people to a serious incident that occurred last week. I have not seen it covered outside road riding social media and the standard Police release that I had to go looking for.

A man riding a bicycle was run down from behind mid week and mid morning on the Akuna Bay loop. The motorist was a motorsport journalist test driving a McLaren supercar. 0 to 100kms in less than 4 seconds.

The rider sustained two broken knees, broken ribs and head/facial injuries. He is still in a very serious condition in ICU at RNSH.

NSW Police say they are investigating.

I've mentioned the incident to a few people and they had not heard of it so passing it along in case anyone rides that route or think that because it is a known loop for bicycle riders they can feel some degree of safety.

Spare a thought for the rider, James, and his family who had their lives turned upside down compliments of a vehicle that should not be allowed anywhere near a public road.

Also make sure you have a working bell fitted to your bicycle, ding ding, that is the sound of vision zero and road safety in NSW.

Please if anyone sees any more information on this, especially progress by Police do post it up.

JM

Views: 4332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Vision zero indeed.

In nsw they get it back to front,

"Zero Vision"

I hadn't heard of it either.  Terrible injuries and James could of been killed.

Do we know the name of the Journalist?

Hi Mike

No names have surfaced yet that I am aware of. I read that the motorist was a 28 year old female. I think everyone (including me) is just playing it "cool" until more facts come out.

We do know the car is capable of high speeds and accelerates stupidly fast. The driver was testing it out at the invitation of McLaren. This was on an open public road frequented by people riding bicycles, bush walkers, wildlife and slower vehicles towing boats etc... 

You can't race bikes or run a grand fondo on open roads these days... but super cars - no worries, insured right...

James Tan, a dentist, raced B Grade. Super fit guy and I sincerely hope he can return to that level of fitness after this horrific incident.

I am trying to contain my rage. Powerful firearms are banned, some can be used under the right conditions at a special range - these cars should be seen in the same light. Or do we all just get out of the way for the handful of people who own and sometimes drive them...

JM

For completeness this is the NSW Police statement:

Cyclist injured in crash - Kuring-Gai Chase

Wednesday, 09 May 2018 04:23:46 PM

Police are investigating a crash during which a cyclist was injured in Sydney’s north today.

Just before 11am (Wednesday 9 May 2018), emergency services were called to General San Martin Drive at Kuring-Gai Chase, after a collision between a McLaren and a cyclist.

The cyclist, a man in his 50s, suffered serious facial and leg injuries. He was taken to Royal North Shore Hospital in a serious condition.

The driver, a 28-year-old woman, was uninjured and taken to Royal North Shore Hospital for mandatory blood and urine tests.

Officers from Northern Beaches Police Area Command attended, and with the assistance of the Metropolitan Crash Investigation unit, launched an investigation into the crash.

The road remains closed, with local traffic diversions in place. Motorist are advised to avoid the area.

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/ Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Seems like the normal place for them to do test drives https://www.theversatilegent.com/mclaren-factory-tour-and-sports-se...

Normal wording from the police statement, vehicle and cyclists collision like the vehicle has a mind of it's own and even a name this time - McLaren.

Not to defend the motorist or anything, but I think the police cannot state anything other than the minimal facts about the accident until they've performed their investigation. Could be that if they presume anything about the driver (i.e., the driver was speeding and lost control) and report it before complete investigation, the results may be "thrown out" due to "prejudice" of the police. So they will report it that the cyclist was hit by the car (which is factually correct), what they will do now is determine why the cyclist was hit by a car - likely that the cyclist didn't have a bell and didn't give sufficient warning of their existence.

I wasn't suggesting prejudice just that the motorist wasn't involved in the collision with the polices wording, the McLaren was. I'd think something like "there has been a collision between a motorist driving a McLaren and a cyclist" is better and doesn't attribute blame.

or collision between a McLaren and a Pinarello.  However, this diminishes what actually happened.

I think the bigger issue here is how does this accident sit with workplace health and safety laws?

The journalist was basically using a public road to perform their job on the behest of their employer.

It's always good to know that the driver was uninjured...

No mention of cyclist wearing a helmet. Which he therefore obviously was. But it didn't prevent idiotic driving.

Grrrr.

after a collision between a McLaren and a cyclist

after a collision between a McLaren and a Colnago

after a collision between a motorist and a cyclist

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service