Super Car Runs Bicycle Rider Down from Behind - Akuna Bay - May 2018

Hi All

I just wanted to alert people to a serious incident that occurred last week. I have not seen it covered outside road riding social media and the standard Police release that I had to go looking for.

A man riding a bicycle was run down from behind mid week and mid morning on the Akuna Bay loop. The motorist was a motorsport journalist test driving a McLaren supercar. 0 to 100kms in less than 4 seconds.

The rider sustained two broken knees, broken ribs and head/facial injuries. He is still in a very serious condition in ICU at RNSH.

NSW Police say they are investigating.

I've mentioned the incident to a few people and they had not heard of it so passing it along in case anyone rides that route or think that because it is a known loop for bicycle riders they can feel some degree of safety.

Spare a thought for the rider, James, and his family who had their lives turned upside down compliments of a vehicle that should not be allowed anywhere near a public road.

Also make sure you have a working bell fitted to your bicycle, ding ding, that is the sound of vision zero and road safety in NSW.

Please if anyone sees any more information on this, especially progress by Police do post it up.

JM

Views: 2098

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh Jeeze.

I just googled a couple around there. One right at that Victoria/Archer St intersection.

A driver medical issue was flagged. Maybe.

Can't win every time I guess. 

Yet another pedestrian killed on a hot crossing just yesterday. 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/man-dies-after-being-struck-by-...

100% driver error. If we leave the intersection unchanged it won't be long before 100% driver error kills another vulnerable road user.

So change the design...  I'm not seeing what is so difficult to grasp in that?

It must be fail safe - when people inevitably fail it still must be safe. If that means placing concrete blocks on the road that drivers have to slow to 20 to get around then so be it. End of.

Old man killed on Sunday crossing a road up north, bus turned at intersection and failed to give way to him. Change the intersection. 100% driver error. Change the intersection. These people's lives matter.

Stop building roads until the ones we have are safe. $16 billion would fix a few intersections. But yeah maybe not "efficient" for motorists so LOL LMFAO too bad for pedestrians. Accept the blunt force trauma deaths and move on.

JM

This one as proposed, sharing some of the benefits of wasteconnex with Anzac pde

Something looks wrong with that picture, the west to east looks wrong, there appears to be vehicles going the wrong way on the eastern side and the 3 straight ahead lanes don't align

That is the proposal, new brilliant RMS planners scheme for "continuous flow" high speed intersections to maximise throughput of motor vehicles, there is of course some higher risk and considerable extra delay for pedestrians and cyclists and but hey we are prepared to except that aren't we to make sure the important drivers can minimise their travel time

Ar, so they are doing some pre-intersection intersections to do some contra-flow trickery.  I'm interested in the bike path along that corridor, its relevant to my travels.  I'm not sure about the silly jump from one side of the road to the other and put an objection in about that but I see its still there.  They only listen to objections when it suits them

Side swapping is crazy and the 2.5m width for a shared path is too skinny. Question on waits at traffic lights is warranted too.

We have gone a bit off topic with discussion around "at fault" vs "cause of injury/death".  It would make a great discussion in its own thread.

I'll be surprised if the circumstances around this horrible collision involved anything that the motorist could of done in almost any other car, however until we have more details we won't know.

The classification of fault with the driver, I'm seeing the following possibilities or a combination of;

- not complying with road rules, ie speeding, not keeping within lane, etc

- inattentive, ie playing with the gadgets within, phone or other device

- insufficient visibility, ie not driving the conditions

Non compliance with road rules by the cyclist is highly unlikely as he was hit from behind?

-

Mike,

I think the other important factor is 'workplace safety'.  As a professional, the driver should be held to higher safety standards than the average road user.

She might have been a freelance journo, so no employer to use workplace safety law on, or does it still apply? Has it ever been applied to working on public roads?

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service