Super Car Runs Bicycle Rider Down from Behind - Akuna Bay - May 2018

Hi All

I just wanted to alert people to a serious incident that occurred last week. I have not seen it covered outside road riding social media and the standard Police release that I had to go looking for.

A man riding a bicycle was run down from behind mid week and mid morning on the Akuna Bay loop. The motorist was a motorsport journalist test driving a McLaren supercar. 0 to 100kms in less than 4 seconds.

The rider sustained two broken knees, broken ribs and head/facial injuries. He is still in a very serious condition in ICU at RNSH.

NSW Police say they are investigating.

I've mentioned the incident to a few people and they had not heard of it so passing it along in case anyone rides that route or think that because it is a known loop for bicycle riders they can feel some degree of safety.

Spare a thought for the rider, James, and his family who had their lives turned upside down compliments of a vehicle that should not be allowed anywhere near a public road.

Also make sure you have a working bell fitted to your bicycle, ding ding, that is the sound of vision zero and road safety in NSW.

Please if anyone sees any more information on this, especially progress by Police do post it up.

JM

Views: 3978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good idea. Also their Facebook page, where there are a few comments now.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/motoring-new...

An update.

charged with:

• dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm,
  • negligent driving,
  • causing bodily harm by misconduct in charge of motor vehicle
  • and negligent driving.

She will appear in Manly Local Court on October 24.

Oh, it was quite hard to see that information

I thought the article was about the car

The incident occurred during a McLaren press event where journalists were invited to test drive the British car maker’s Sport Series vehicles which includes: the McLaren 540C, 570S and 570GT.

The cheapest Sports Series vehicle — the 540C coupe — is priced from $325,000 (before on-road costs). The more expensive 570S will set buyers back in excess of $400,000 drive-away.

McLaren make some of the fastest cars in the world.

The twin-turbo V8 powered supercars in the Super Sport Series produce scary performance. The 540C and 570S are capable of hitting 0-100km/h in 3.5 seconds and 3.2 seconds respectively along with top speeds well in excess of 300km/h.

err, cyclist? who? what? 

Yeah, put it in the technology/innovation section on your website, not in crime/punishment

Meanwhile, Committee releases report on Vision Zero for Aus

https://www.smh.com.au/national/halt-the-carnage-report-calls-for-z...

Yep, bizarre - reporting a serious crime as an advertisement for the weapon.

Imagine if any other crime was written up this way!

"The youth stole the Subaru WRX STi in Lane Cove and took the police on a 2 hour chase all over the Lower North Shore, injuring dozens of bystanders and destroying eight private cars including three Highway Patrol cars.

STi  stands for Subaru Tecnica international. Basically, Subaru's skunkworks for motorsports. Subaru Tecnica international develops the Subaru racing vehicles, and the WRX's that bear the cherry blossom red STi badge are those with the highest high performance parts. 

There are a number of significant differences between the basic WRX and the STi. For a start, the steering in the STi is old-school hydraulic, and it shows. While it might follow ruts a little more assiduously than I'd like, it's much better than the electric rack in the WRX. 

The engine is half a litre bigger, with 221kW and 407Nm, the centre diff is driver controllable, the gear ratios are different and there is a shorter final drive for extra punch. The all-wheel-drive grip is further augmented with a set of delightfully sticky Yokohama tyres wrapped around 19-inch alloys.

If you want, you can also have a ludicrously large rear wing. Well, on the Spec.R, you've got it as standard. If you're a bit of a wallflower, you might want to delete that. There are also a set of bright yellow six-pot Brembo brakes, properly high-vis yellow, gripping drilled discs. 

The driver will face court in November 2021."

You forgot...

The driver of the WRX said he was very impressed with the handling of the new vehicle compared to the 2016 model he stole the week prior. Further to that, with the pedestrian collision detection system he was able to keep track of his score and believes that today's run was by far his best score. He attributes this to the quality "off gutter control system" introduced in the 2017 WRX.

Finally a spokesman for Subaru issued a statement "If you only steal one car this year, do yourself a favour and steal a Subaru".

For those who may be interested, I've been visiting James. He is generally in good spirits but looks like he may not be able to use his right arm again - he is/was a dentist. The nerves were severed and his arm lies limp in a sling. His neck was broken in numerous places which wasn't mentioned earlier, or in the various articles that were mentioned in this thread. He has had recent operations to try and reconnect nerves and the results are still out.

Thankfully if it wasn't for the meticulous and thoughtful care from the paramedics who initially arrived and stabilised his neck with metal rods before he was moved, he would have been in a wheelchair for life. As it is now, he is walking around and has limited use of his right leg beyond about 10˚ of movement. That should improve, and he threatens me that if I don't get fitter now I won't be able to keep up with him on his first ride back...

Real sad Bill.

I was disappointed to see the article that talked of the charge had a lot of info on the car but didn't even mention the status of the injured rider

Terrible.

Sounds like he is maintaining a very positive outlook, which is fantastic.

The news stories make his injuries sound far less serious.

Damn

I don't know how people stay positive after these types of incidents. Very serious injuries, for a crash that should never have happened - I'm still furious and gutted for James.

Perhaps after the NSW Police have laid charges and the matter is finalised in the courts further action can be taken against the car maker/seller for allowing their cars to be driven on public roads.

A whole bunch of people would have been involved in planning and organising to have a driver unfamiliar with the vehicle test it out on a public road...

If something like this happened to me, my insurance at 60% of current taken home pay would expire after 3 years then I'm on my own with two young children... pretty much lose everything. My only hope would be for the incident to be fatal so a payout would at least cover balance on mortgage.

There has never been a more exciting time to be a cyclist in NSW.

JM

Thanks for the update Bill, what an amazing positive outlook.

Question : Is he taking this to the civil court for loss of income? A multi million payout case will do more for safety than any of the hollow words and lack - of - action from our pollies , cops and judges.

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service